SAP has a voucher program that pays for survivors' transportation to and from the hospital. Survivors of rape and sexual assault can seek help by calling SAP's 24-hour hotline at 740-597-SAFE. (FILE)

Survivor Advocacy Program at Ohio University served 36 students during Fall Semester

The Survivor Advocacy Program at Ohio University has served 36 people since it reopened under new leadership during Fall Semester, and the program's director expects the number to rise.

SAP Director Kimberly Castor said she didn't know what to expect after the program, which exists to provide confidential support and counseling to survivors of sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence, reopened.

“That’s 36 (people) that wouldn’t have been served if the program wasn’t here,” Castor said. “And I really anticipate that number is going to be much larger, because we’ve had nine (people) in two days (the week of Jan. 9).”

During the 2015-16 academic year, the program, formerly known as the Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program, did not have a licensed director or coordinator for part of the year, and then the program closed Nov. 16, 2015, for the rest of the academic year. The university announced in March that SAP would reopen Fall Semester.

Castor began her position as SAP director June 27, and her salary is $62,000. Kristin Waltz, the SAP survivor advocate and case manager, started her job July 18 and earns a salary of $48,000 a year.

Delaney Anderson, whose annual salary was $37,230, was the program coordinator of OUSAP, but left her position in October 2015 for a job outside the university. The departure of Anderson, who was not a mandatory reporter, left OUSAP without a licensed and credentialed program coordinator. A non-mandatory reporter does not have to report suspicions of abuse.

“When we looked at month-to-month, we saw more and more students each month the longer we were here, so that was a direct result of the word getting out that we were here,” Castor said.

To spread the word that SAP’s services were available on campus, they tabled at Baker Center 12 times last semester, Castor said.

“We were having people come up to us and schedule appointments or say, ‘Hey, can we walk back to the office now,’ ” Castor said. “To me, if one person was able to do that, it was worth it.”

In addition to tabling, SAP had coffee sleeves at The Front Room Coffeehouse and Court Street Coffee, and the Campus Involvement Center made a pop-up sign about SAP in Baker Center by the escalators among other promotional activities, Castor said.

Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said she thinks SAP has done a great job getting the word out about the re-opening.

“Students have told them how helpful they have been,” Hall-Jones said.

SAP is under the Division of Student Affairs and reports to Associate Dean of Students Patti McSteen.

“One of the most significant advantages of SAP being a part of Student Affairs is the synergy of those areas on campus that provides direct support to students experiencing a personal crisis,” McSteen said in an email.

SAP is planning to start a student organization during Spring Semester, Castor said.

“We are thinking outreach as one big thing, but more so than just outreach, we’re hoping that (the student organization will) be able to do empathic response workshops and self-care workshops,” Castor said.

The student organization does not have a name yet, but it would be for outreach and educating people on what SAP does, Castor said.

SAP’s graduate assistant, Mackenzie Roman, will lead the student organization, and its first meeting will be Jan. 23 at 5:30 p.m. in SAP’s office, Lindley 038.

Those involved in the student organization will not serve as peer advocates, Castor said.

Castor said the organization could function similarly to the Better Bystanders program, which trains students, who then host workshops.

“We are probably going to use the title (of) 'ambassador,' ” Castor said. “A lot of students are really passionate about this topic and want to get involved, so this is a good way to do it.”

SAP also offers a 24/7 confidential crisis line at 740-597-7233.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu