Provost and Executive VP Pam Benoit fields questions during her presidential candidate open forum in Baker Center Ballroom on January 17, 2016. 

Pam Benoit no longer in running for OU’s president

Pam Benoit, Ohio University’s executive vice president and provost, is no longer in the running for Ohio University’s president.

University Spokesperson Carly Leatherwood confirmed Wednesday afternoon Benoit withdrew from the presidential search. It is unclear at the time why she withdrew from the search.

In an email statement sent to university administrators, Benoit thanked those involved for their support.

"I am writing to inform you that I withdrew from the Ohio University Presidential Search," Benoit wrote. "Your support through this process has been uplifting and much appreciated."

Benoit has considered jobs at other universities in recent years. She was named as one of four finalists in Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s search for the chancellor position in 2015, from which she later withdrew. She was also the only finalist in 2015 for the chancellor position at the University of Colorado Denver, but ultimately was not offered the job.

Her current role at OU includes administrative tasks such as overseeing academic programs, budget planning and research, and assisting McDavis and the Board of Trustees in university planning. All academic deans report to her. She makes $306,000 a year.

Dean Bresciani, one of the four finalists, dropped out of the running for the position Tuesday.

Bresciani decided to remain in his position as the president of North Dakota State University, he announced in an email to the university.

The remaining two search finalists are Robert Frank, former University of New Mexico president and Duane Nellis, former Texas Tech University president.

The next president is set to be announced Feb. 22 at 10 a.m.

The OU Board of Trustees will meet at the Dublin campus to vote on the appointment of OU’s next president, according to a news release.

OU President Roderick McDavis will leave office Feb. 17, and David Descutner will serve as interim president from Feb. 18 until June 30.

Abbey Marshall contributed to this report.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu