Members of Ohio's Board of Trustees listen to Deborah Shaffer, Vice President for Finance and Administration during a BOT meeting on January 19, 2017 in Walter Hall.

Trustees approve expansion plans for Dublin campus

At Friday’s March meeting, the Board of Trustees passed a resolution detailing updates to the Dublin campus’ construction plan.

OU’s Dublin Framework Plan seeks to expand construction on the Dublin campus over time. The OU’s Dublin campus is expanding in the West Innovation District. The district is comprised of 1,100 acres, according to the Ohio Development Services Agency. Updates to the plan have been approved by the City of Dublin.

“This isn’t going to be built tomorrow,” Shawna Bolin, director of University Planning and Space Management, said. “This is a long term framework plan.”

The three-tiered plan will include construction of new buildings around those that are already there in three stages. OU purchased the property for $11 million in July 2012 for Ohio University’s Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine.

The College of Health Sciences and Professions and is also present on the campus, with partnerships between OU and Columbus State Community College and other Central Ohio colleges, universities and high schools.

The plan will include a major street network, green space, parking and services, according to the Board of Trustees March agenda. The university also seeks to connect the campus with surrounding communities.

The most recent purchase of 25 acres cost $90,000 per acre for a total of $2.25 million.

“I think that the city (understands) what that means, from the value of the overall thousand acres and what the campus can bring in that regard,” Steve Golding, senior vice president for Strategic Initiatives, said.

At the meeting to approve the updated plan, the presentation included the guiding principles of the campus, which includes the advancement of the “OHIO for Ohio” strategy, an initiative for the university to build and strengthen regional partnerships to “foster innovation” through industry, government and nonprofit organizations.

“I think Dublin is a metaphor, in many respects, for our 11 campuses," Golding said. "Those campuses are intended to support Ohio’s broad teaching, research and service mission. And it recognizes that we have a history of community engagement.”

Board of Trustees Chair David Wolfort brought up the Dublin campus’ safety and security. Bolin and Golding detailed police presence on campus at Thursday’s Joint Academics and Resources Committee meeting, as well as the campus’s relationship with surrounding fire stations.

“I think this is critical to future success at Ohio University,” student trustee PJ Roden said.

Finalizations to the Dublin campus’ plan are expected sometime this spring.

@sovietkkitsch

sp936115@ohio.edu