Aly & AJ released a new single, "Take Me," after a 10 year hiatus. (Photo via @alyandaj Instagram) 

Aly & AJ make long-awaited comeback with new single ‘Take Me’

It seems like just yesterday that everyone was dancing along to “Rush” and belting out “Potential Breakup Song” by the sister act who dominated The Disney Channel and every iTunes library.

But Aly & AJ fans can relive those glory days by listening to the duo’s latest single.

Sadly, it has been a long, drawn-out ten years with no music from Aly and AJ Michalka. The Cow Belles stars admitted their “hiatus” was not meant to span a decade, but balancing fame and trying to leave their mark on the music industry came with pressure.

“That feeling we get when performing, when writing, when working together is unexplainable,” the duo said on its Twitter account. “We lost that feeling for a good long time. The idea of trying to prove ourselves again as adults has been overwhelming and at times paralyzing. We lost the passion to create. That passion came back.”

Earlier this summer, Aly & AJ told fans they were back in the studio working on new music. On August 18, the duo's first single was made available on streaming platforms. The '80s inspired track, “Take Me,” has a west-coast feel, but still manages to channel the pop sound the sisters are known for. In June, a version of the song was accidentally released to Spotify but quickly removed. Now, it's available for all to hear. 

Former Disney co-stars Ashley Tisdale and Brenda Song hopped on Twitter to congratulate the duo on its accomplishment.

Other fans shared their excitement over the musicians’ comeback as well.

In their press release, both Aly and AJ dropped hints of an upcoming album with titles of the new music from the record. Until that is released, you can listen to “Take Me” on repeat all day long.

@jprintup1

jp583215@ohio.edu