Jon Snow (Kit Harington) on Dragonstone during "Eastwatch." (photo via HBO)

TV Review: Sorry, Michael Jordan — Jon Snow just assembled the ultimate dream team on ‘Game of Thrones’

Last week’s Game of Thrones episode, “The Spoils of War,” embodied some of the best the show has to offer: high-speed action, gorgeous visuals, a spot of humor and, above all, perfectly weighted tension that keeps viewers on the edge of our seats from theme song to end credits.

This week’s episode, “Eastwatch,” offered the same fantastic tension — but no fiery battle scenes or I-know-everything-Littlefinger revelations were needed.

Instead, pacing, rhythm and music heighten the constant feeling of anticipation that surrounds every crucial scene — Arya spies on Littlefinger, two long-absent characters return, Davos returns to his smuggler’s roots and Jon plays “pat the bunny” with a large fire-breathing dragon.

Arya Stark (Maisie Williams) is back home in Winterfell, but things are not going to her liking. She’s noticed that Littlefinger (Aiden Gillen) has eyes everywhere and is trying to manipulate Sansa (Sophie Turner). She eventually discovers the letter Sansa sent to announced their father’s death. This, of course, doesn’t prove that Littlefinger betrayed Ned — he did — but it does let Littlefinger know Arya is suspicious of him. He’s always a step ahead, but with both Arya and Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) beginning to see through his deception, Littlefinger’s days are numbered.

Another character whose days are numbered is Cersei Lannister (Lena Headey). Upon his return from near-burning and near-drowning, her brother/lover Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) tells her of Olenna (Diana Rigg) and her final barb, while she reveals that she’s pregnant.

Incest aside, Cersei is never going to give birth to a fourth child. As prophesied by Maggy the Frog, Cersei will have three children, not four. The rest of the prophecy has come true so far — she married King Robert, he had many bastards, all her children have died — so it seems highly improbable that she will give birth to a fourth child.

The pregnancy could serve to make sadder a scene that many viewers are predicting: Jaime being forced to kill Cersei for the greater good, much like he killed the Mad King. In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, Maggie’s prophecy also includes that Cersei’s valonqar, or “little brother,” will kill her. Cersei thinks that means Tyrion — another reason for her hatred toward him — but it could very well mean Jaime.

Speaking of Tyrion (Peter Dinklage), things as Hand of the Queen to Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) aren’t going so hot. Against his advice, she had Drogon burn Randyll (James Faulkner) and Dickon Tarly (Tom Hopper) into ashes, which gave off some pretty clear Mad King vibes.

Things are looking up for Daenerys, though. She just landed a crushing victory, and now a good friend — and nothing more than that — has returned. Cured of his greyscale, Jorah Mormont (Iain Glen) has come back to serve his unrequited love.

The man responsible for Jorah’s health, Samwell Tarly (John Bradley-West) is fed up with Hogwarts for Maesters and decides to leave, glossing over Gilly (Hannah Murray) basically revealing that Jon Snow could be the trueborn son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark. Way to get pissy at the exact wrong time, Sam. Oh, by the way, you’re the new Lord of Horn Hill.

After petting Drogon — which seemingly astounded Daenerys — Jon (Kit Harington) heads north to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, where Tormund (Kristofer Hivju) has been keeping an eye out for those darn killer ice zombies.

With all due respect to the 1992 U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team, Jon just put together the ultimate dream team: himself, Tormund, Jorah, the Hound (Rory McCann), Beric Dondarrion (Richard Dormer), Thoros of Myr (Paul Kaye) — and Gendry (Joe Dempsie).

After rowing for a few seasons, Robert Baratheon’s bastard has made his long-anticipated return. Wielding a warhammer, just like his father once did, he takes up the final spot in the seven-man group as they march into the frozen wastes.

In previous seasons, an episode like “Eastwatch” might have been derided as a mere “setup episode.” But this season, it serves its purpose perfectly — characters were further developed and plotlines better fleshed-out, and now the stage is set for the final two episodes of the season.

With all that’s been built up to, the final two episodes could contain: a fully unleashed Gendry, Daenerys heading north to face the White Walkers, the deaths of Littlefinger, Cersei and probably at least one or two of the dream team beyond the Wall and the reveal — to everyone besides Bran — that Jon is a trueborn Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.

Buckle up.

Game of Thrones airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on HBO.

@alexmccann21

am622914@ohio.edu