Prince calls for terrorism center

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia's crown prince called for the creation of a worldwide center to share intelligence on terrorism on Saturday at a conference on fighting al-Qaida and other groups, hosted by a country often accused of exporting militants.

Crown Prince Abdullah, who is the kingdom's de facto leader and has led a tough campaign against militant groups over the past year, said a global intelligence-sharing center could allow experts and officials worldwide to exchange information instantly to prevent attacks.

Saudi Arabia is already thought to exchange information with the United States, but the kingdom has been criticized for failing to openly disclose the steps it takes internally to uproot al-Qaida's structure in the kingdom.

The desert kingdom is accused by some in the West of not doing enough to stop the departure of militants from Saudi Arabia to other countries, including Iraq.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal told reporters the conference was meant to be a Saudi contribution to the anti-terrorism fight, not a public relations effort to brighten the country's image. Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Osama bin Laden and 15 of the 19 Sept. 11 hijackers.

Our efforts are aimed at ending this scourge from the region

not to improve our image in any society he said.

No one can blame Saudi Arabia saying it didn't do its due diligence when it comes to terrorism

because (terrorism) is a danger against it

and it has sacrificed the blood of its sons

he said.

The conference, attended by delegates from the United States, Britain and more than 50 countries, took place in an enormous palace hall protected by hundreds of armed security forces patrolling the perimeter. Posters were hung along the capital's streets showing images of destruction from terrorist bombings and saying: Our religion rejects terrorism.

Syria and Iran, two countries accused by the United States of supporting terror, disputed what they called inaccurate definitions of terrorism.

A member of the Iranian foreign ministry, Ali Abul Hasani, said people fighting for their freedom under occupation should be considered differently than those who kill innocent civilians.

17

Archives

The Associated Press