Athens native runs for at-large council seat

Campaigning against incumbents as an independent is one of the biggest challenges a candidate can face in an election. However, Elahu Gosney believes his background and political leanings will work in his favor as he campaigns as an independent for an at-large Athens City Council seat.

Gosney, a 23-year-old Athens native who graduated from Ohio University in 2003 and is now a research lab technician for the school, describes himself as a progressive Democrat.

Growing up in Athens and being involved in politically active organizations, such as InterAct and MoveOn.org, have helped him to better understand the ins and outs of campaigning and the interests of Athens' residents and students, he said.

Gosney is dedicated to his involvements and active in the area, said Damon Krane, a founding member of InterAct. InterAct is a local group of progressive students and residents active in a broad range of areas that was created two years ago. Gosney has been involved for about a year.

Voters will respond favorably to Gosney's interests and motives because Athens is a progressive community, Krane said -he just must be sure to get his message out.

Trash buildup in student neighborhoods, unfair rental practices, reckless development projects and the noise ordinance are areas of great importance to the city, Gosney said.

He emphasized that his agenda will not be swayed by political leanings; he hopes to simply draw voters who agree with the opinions he presents, he said.

I'm not going to say or do things just because I think it's going to get me votes; I'm going to say or do things that I really believe in

Gosney said.

While he does not consider it a major problem in local elections, Gosney said he thinks money can corrupt the political system and therefore plans to limit donations to no more than $25 to his campaign. Contributions to local candidates can be of any amount, according to the Athens County Board of Elections.

Independents face the challenge of raising funds and awareness without a party affiliation, said Carol Patterson, D-2nd Ward. Patterson has held her seat for three terms and is seeking an at-large seat in the November election.

Getting to know Athens residents and appealing to progressive organizations in the area is Gosney's campaign plan for this summer.

If his run proves unsuccessful, Gosney said he is confident it will at least spark interest in some new topics.

I think at the very least I'll be able to force the candidates to address some issues that they would otherwise ignore Gosney said.

Gosney's efforts to better Athens will not stop with the election, Krane said.

He's more committed to progressive values than he is any party Krane said.

November's election for the three at-large seats available puts Gosney up against Democratic incumbents Jim Sands and Patterson and newcomers Democrat Amy Flowers and Republican Matt Bernosky.

17

Archives

Brittany Kress