McDavis praises OU for shrinking diversity gap

Ohio University tackled two things at once by increasing enrollment and diversity for the 2005-06 academic year, President Roderick McDavis said at his press conference yesterday.

We have experienced a lot of success with increasing our enrollment

but also we increased the diversity of next year's freshman class McDavis said. So we have tackled two things at once and been successful at both.

OU has received 4,198 housing contracts for next year, almost 450 more than last year. Though OU is still accepting applications, the number may decrease because the figures are based on housing contracts alone.

Three or four months ago we were concerned if we would make (our goal) of 3

800

McDavis said.

OU was down by 1,000 applications before the 6 percent tuition increase was announced in April.

The rise in enrollment includes a 56 percent increase, or 120 more multi-cultural students (non-white students), which McDavis said is a direct correlation to the new Urban Scholars program, and the yield receptions held for accepted high school students across the state.

Once more students of color come

it attracts more the next year

he said, stressing tangible results and retention rate as critical factors.

This summer, OU faculty and staff will work to fill the gaps by creating more social programs for minority students.

With a new director of admissions expected to be hired for next year, McDavis said the university hopes to double its efforts for next years enrollment and diversity.

McDavis said though some were concerned about housing for the increasing number of students, he said every student next year will have a bed, and OU will continue to work with Athens and neighborhood associations to anticipate the growth of the university.

With the resignation of Athletic Director Thomas Boeh, the university announced yesterday that it hired Eastman & Beaudine of Dallas to assist with the search and screening process for a new director.

We look forward to working with Eastman & Beaudine to find candidates who mirror the university's commitment to academic and athletic excellence

McDavis said.

Eastman & Beaudine, recently named one of the top 50 executive search firms in North America, will work with a 20-person committee made up of OU faculty and staff, including the chair, Gary Neiman, dean of the College of Health and Human Services.

McDavis said OU hopes to replace the Interim Athletic Director Amy Dean by the end of July.

17

Archives