Students balance faith and fun

Rachel Friedson is a typical college junior; she goes to parties on weekends, occasionally sees a movie and is always surrounded by friends. Though none of these activities should come as a surprise, the context in which she does them might.

Friedson, a practicing Jew, lives her life within a religious framework that extends past the sacred into what many would consider the secular. She merges her religious beliefs with her college life, which includes greek life-but her actions are by no means unique. This lifestyle, which forges both the spiritual and social spheres, has been an emerging trend among college students across the country.

According to a recent article in Time, religious students on secular college campuses are becoming increasingly ardent when it comes to practicing their faith, and not just in a temple, a church or a mosque. These students instead have learned to balance all aspects of their lives simultaneously -even the stereotypically debauched world of greek life.

Friedson, for example, has been engaged actively in both Hillel and Delta Zeta sorority.

You have to find a way to balance what you think is important

she said. You have to have your priorities in order.

For more and more college students, some of those priorities include religion. According to a recent study done by the Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA, 79 percent of 112,000 students surveyed profess a belief in God, and 69 percent say they pray. Despite these numbers, only 40 percent think it is important to follow religious teachings in everyday life.

The discrepancy between those who have particular beliefs and those who actually live those beliefs is, in part, because of the way students think faith should be practiced, said Rich Teske, director of Reach Out on Campus.

Some students chose to compartmentalize their faith, practicing it at specific times in specific settings, he said.

Other students see their faith more holistically. They recognize the importance to allow for faith to govern or form their choices in all aspects of life.

Living holistically doesn't mean isolating yourself from the rest of the world, Teske said.

Students still can be involved in social aspects of college while simultaneously living a life of faith. Those involved in greek life are presented with the perfect opportunity to minister to others, he said.

Brett Taylor, a member of Campus Crusade for Christ, was presented with similar opportunities when he was a member of Phi Kappa Tau fraternity.

We'd talk about (faith) when (my brothers) brought it up or when the situation was appropriate he said, noting that he was careful not to push his beliefs on his friends.

Although it is important not to force your beliefs on your peers, they can often have a direct influence on your own beliefs and the way you practice them, Teske said.

When asked what advice he would give to students who are struggling to find a comfortable balance between their spiritual and social lives, he offered the following advice: Community is very important. You should find a group of fellow students who have the same set of beliefs about faith and religion. Develop those relationships so that you can be encouraging and equally encouraged to live out your faith.

-Haley Sands contributed to this story.

17

Archives

Patrick Mayock