Suicide rates rare at OU but high in nation

Though it does not occur often at Ohio University, suicide is the second leading cause of death among college-aged students nationwide.

In 2001, more than 30,000 people committed suicide in the United States, according to the National Mental Health Association's Web site (www.nmha.org). Most of these deaths occur among 20-and 24-year-olds, and about one of every 12 U.S. college students has made a suicide plan.

OU Police Department Lt. Rich Russell said only two OU student suicides have occurred since September 2003. Terah Baldwin committed suicide in her room May 12 in Weld House.

Graduate student Hazel Lynn Ong Tan, 24, committed suicide Dec. 27 in her Wolfe Street apartment. Her roommate found her with a suicide note, alcohol and medicine bottles, according to a Feb. 1 article in The Post.

Though the preliminary reports showed Baldwin's cause of death was suicide by hanging, Athens County Coroner Scott Jenkins said the final autopsy will be completed by the Montgomery County Coroner's Office in six weeks.

The case still is under investigation by OUPD until the final report is available, Russell said.

In the aftermath of emotions surrounding Baldwin's suicide, friends, family and students seek out explanations, counseling and prevention.

Residence Life Director Joe Burke said the department offered counseling sessions May 15 and 18 for residents of Baldwin's first-floor mod. Counselors from Hudson Health Center's Counseling and Psychological Services mediated the sessions.

Everyone deals with grief in their own unique way

said Sheila Williams, a clinical mental health counselor for the center. Friends of those dealing with the loss should make sure their goal is to listen without feeling like they have all the answers.

Burke said Residence Life has made arrangements to relocate the female residents from the mod to other halls on campus.

Williams said grief after a suicide is harder to deal with than any other type of death. Loved ones might begin to doubt themselves and could contemplate suicide.

The hardest thing for them is realizing it's not their fault Williams said. None of us can control another person's behavior. If we were in complete control of others no one would commit suicide.

Thirty to 40 percent of people who have committed suicide made a previous attempt, according to the association's site.

If someone is verbalizing about any kind of suicide threat

it is important to take it very seriously

Williams said. Anyone who wishes to help a loved one they think is suicidal should first contact a professional to figure out the best way to approach that specific individual.

Earl Stump, counseling and higher education professor and director of the George E. Hill Counseling Center in McCracken Hall, said the most important indicator of suicidal tendencies is change in behavior.

With people you are around often

you tend to know how they react to life

Stump said. Sudden changes in behavior are worth investigating with a friend.

17

Archives

Dwayne Steward