Tragic deaths spark 'carpe diem' attitude

Being a creature of habit, Tuesday morning I continued my tradition of perusing through various sports articles right before I went to lunch.

The big stories seemed nothing too far removed from sports normalcy; however, what did catch my attention was that another young athlete had lost his life in a car accident.

Oklahoma State safety Vernon Grant died Monday night after his car was broad-sided as he tried to cross onto an interstate ramp in Dallas, Texas. An anchor of the Cowboy defense, Grant had 67 tackles and two interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles and fumble recoveries each last year.

Grant was indeed a good athlete, but I never knew him. So why am I honestly saddened by his death?

I understand that death is unavoidable, but accidents like Grant's are disheartening. They are complete mishaps that, despite all precautions, probably couldn't have been prevented, and it seems many of the victims are young people with an immense amount of untapped potential.

Grant's death brings about memories of when Atlanta Thrashers center Dan Snyder died in 2003 after his teammate and friend, Dany Heatley, lost control of the Ferrari they were in; and when four Yale students, three of whom were athletes, died after their SUV hit a tractor-trailer as part of a chain reaction crash, also in 2003.

These tragedies befall many more people than just athletes or other celebrities, and countless individuals have their own personal experience having lost a loved one or even an acquaintance, myself included.

As a sophomore in high school, I felt the effect of a purely accidental death when one of my classmates was killed as a train struck the car he was traveling in. Maybe that's why I see the unfortunate end of a life as more than a shame.

I'll admit that I'm being too introspective, and perhaps I let things I can't control bother me -but at risk of sounding more guidance-counselor-esque than should be permitted -these occurrences slap me in the face and virtually scream: Do everything you can right now because it could end much sooner than expected.

Not being the most optimistic of folk, I was a bit reluctant to give in to the live your life to the fullest mantra, but why not? That attitude seems to be the only way I can know for sure that I experienced everything life had to offer in the time I had, even if I get hit by a bus as I cross Court Street tomorrow.

Perhaps Robert Herrick was right so many years ago in his advice for us all to make much of time.

-Katie Carrera, a freshman journalism major, is The Post's assistant sports editor. Send her an e-mail at kc207604@ohiou.edu.

17 Archives

Letter to the Editor