B-boy dancers flip over cash prize competition

Grover Center turned early '80s on Saturday - transporting the crowd of 100 back to the era of b-boying.

The event dubbed Panic Zone

organized by Ohio University's Hip-Hop Congress, featured the record-spinning of Seven, a Cleveland-based DJ and a judging panel composed of world-renown b-boys Crazy Legs of the Rock Steady Crew and Dre Live.

Teams from Columbus, Cleveland and as far away as Nashville, Tenn., and Japan faced-off in a three-on-three, elimination-style tournament.

B-boys and b-girls twisted, spun and flipped in a flurry of swirling arms and legs, touching heels to backs, jumping over their own legs, competing for a $1,000 prize.

We're here because we heard about the money said Markus Johnson, one-third of the L-ville Crew, who also has b-boyed for performances, tours and award shows. It's something like a calling. No one else told me to dance. It's like artists - no one has to tell them they have to create artwork.

But it's not break-dancing.

Break-dancing is a media term said Domanique Ellison, a b-boy from Columbus. We're trying to take it back.

And there is a distinct difference in the music of b-boying.

It's not house. It's not techno. B-boy music is any old school record with drum breaks. It originated from old funk and hip-hop records

DJ Seven said. Among his favorites are Rampage by EPMD and Looking at the Front Door by Main Source.

The Fem-Style Rockers, a b-girl crew, battled the Rhythm Robbers to Wu-tang Clan's Gravel Pit in the semi-finals.

Being a b-girl is no different than being a b-boy, said Vanicia Flores, a b-girl from Nashville.

I command respect

so

yeah

I get it

she said.

The finals pitted the Caped Crusaders from Cleveland and the Zulu Kings from Columbus against each other. Both teams combined solo work with team dynamics - at times tumbling in with tag-team-like switches, coordinating moves to make the crowd erupt with whoops.

Although crowd favorites Swift Ali, Daisun and X-travagant from the Caped Crusaders slid in on their heads, spun their bodies on one palm and swung their legs like a grandfather clock gone haywire, the Zulu Kings ranked first place.

Mike Tyson is a crowd favorite

but he can still lose a match

said Crazy Legs, who was judging on overall dance-ability, move execution, response to music and teamwork.

We train every day for three to four hours a day

said Dedikate from the Zulu Kings, his face streaked with sweat, but his demeanor confident.

The Caped Crusaders, runners-up, were not disappointed.

We came over here broke as hell