Senate considers upperclass communities

While first-year undergraduate Learning Communities at Ohio University more than doubled this year, Student Senate addressed potentially creating upperclassmen communities at their weekly meeting last night.

Senate presented the resolution that also commended the expansion of OU Learning Communities from 16 to 38, considered providing incentives for LC students to be more involved in campus activities and presented the need for more faculty involvement in LCs.

The resolution passed, but a debate ensued that eventually removed the provision centered on creating a course cluster for upperclassmen.

Senator Dominic Barbato argued that creating the cluster would make it even more difficult for students not in LCs or OU's Honors Tutorial College to enroll in small classes.

We have students who have to take four classes under this cluster in order to fill that requirement

he said.

The provision calling for faculty to receive a one or two hour course credit for increased involvement with LC students passed, as did the provision for participant incentives.

After the meeting, Molly Mayer, University Life commissioner, said she was comfortable with the resolution but not the failed provision for upperclassmen communities.

I didn't think...at this time that it has been researched thoroughly enough so I didn't feel comfortable passing it Mayer said.

Patrick Heery, Academic Affairs commissioner and the resolution's chief sponsor, said he agreed with the call for more data.

The main concern at least is that it would actually be hindering student's ability to get into class whereas we intended it to actually improve student's ability he said.

17

Archives

Erik Skoog