County prosecutor decides against seeking re-election

One of the county's most prominent Democrats announced yesterday that he is calling it quits - an announcement that comes nearly 14 months before the first primary ballots will be cast for his replacement.

C. David Warren, who has served as Athens County prosecutor since January 2001, will not seek re-election once his current term expires Dec. 31, 2012.

It has been a pleasure and an honor ... doing my part to prosecute dangerous criminals who victimize other people

Warren said in a statement yesterday. However after being in public service for over thirty years the time has come to look at new endeavors and spend more time with my wife and family.

A lifetime Athens County resident, Warren is an OU alum and has spent decades as a fixture in local politics.

Dave has served as prosecutor for some time and he will be missed by many, said Bill Bias, chairman of the Athens County Democratic Party.

The announcement comes as no surprise, Bias said, adding that Warren told him he would not be running for re-election a few months ago.

Even with two terms as county prosecutor under his belt, Warren's most recent re-election bid was anything but a cakewalk.

Then-Democratic Party Chairwoman Susan Gwinn entered the race to challenge Warren, creating one of Athens County's most heated 2008 races.

Warren went on to defeat Gwinn by more than 2,000 votes in the Democratic primary.

I'm still standing, he told supporters after the results were read, according to a previous Post article.

Warren said he wanted to give other potential candidates the chance to meet the public and learn the intricacies of the position before votes are cast.

Bias said he's not sure who will run for the seat being vacated by Warren, but said he's confident that a Democratic candidate will emerge.

Right now I'm working on a mayoral election and we have at least one Republican challenger for the at-large council seats and those elections are this year, Bias said. I like to focus on one election at a time.

@ThePostCity

1

News

Wesley Lowery