Domestic dispute turns physical for OU students, arrest results

Athens Police officers responded to a call of domestic violence between two Ohio University students Sunday night.

At about 9:30 p.m. Sunday, officers arrived at a North McKinley Avenue apartment in response to a physical altercation between a boyfriend and girlfriend, according to the Athens Police report.

The female OU student, a senior, told officers her boyfriend, Derek L. Beverly, also an OU senior, hit her in the face during an argument. He then threw her down and stepped on her chest, according to court documents.

By the time officers arrived, Beverly had left the residence, but was later located by Ohio University Police and taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. The female student had visible redness on her face where she stated Beverly had hit her, according to court documents.

Beverly was charged with one count of domestic violence, a first-degree misdemeanor. He was arraigned in Athens County Municipal Court yesterday.

Beverly pleaded not guilty to the charge. He was released on his own recognizance but was ordered to have no contact with the victim.

He could spend a maximum of 180 days in jail and pay up to $1,000 in fines if convicted, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

He is due back in court 8 a.m. March 7.