President focuses on history, not holdups

Although Ohio University was actually founded today, about 50 students and employees gathered in Baker University Center Theater yesterday to celebrate Founders Day.

This year, Founders Day events are spread over two days, and all the events were moved to the evenings. The university decided to move events to later in the day so more students could attend, said OU President Roderick McDavis, who spoke at yesterday's Founders Day Concert.

McDavis' speech this year also focused on remembering OU's history and applauding the achievements of students and faculty.

"We continue to be a place of promise and distinction today," he said.

Prior to addressing the audience, McDavis said he would not discuss problems facing OU currently. McDavis cited his annual state of the university speech during Fall Quarter, and he said he wanted to make yesterday a more "celebratory day."

Following McDavis' 15-minute speech, attendees watched a video created by the Honors Tutorial College and OU communications and marketing. The presentation featured Stan Alost, an associate professor of visual communications; Kristen Altenburger, a junior studying applied mathematics; and Keith Hawkins, a sophomore studying astrophysics, talking about how they benefited from their time at OU.

"I have been able to flourish here at Ohio University because of the small class sizes and the personalized attention I get through the Honors Tutorial College," Hawkins said. "Those alone really give me in-depth knowledge and the in-depth studies that I need to take me one step further, to set me apart from everybody else."

The event concluded with a concert by music professors William Averill and Michael Carrera, who played selections from Felix Mendelssohn, Beethoven, Francis Poulenc and Alberto Ginastera.

The Founders Day celebration will continue today with a talk from Charles Smith, an OU distinguished professor, at 7:30 p.m. in Walter Hall Rotunda.

cb119506@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus