Tweet Check: Players tweet to promote positivity

Editor's note: This is the first of a three-part series about the use of social media in Ohio Athletics. Posts have been taken unedited from Twitter and Facebook and might contain grammatical errors.

As he wakes up in the morning to take on a full day of class and basketball practice, Adetunji Adedipe makes sure to remind himself to take advantage of the day and make the best of every situation.

Usually, he'll try to lend the same advice to all 1,408 of his followers on Twitter and 4,995 friends on Facebook before stepping out his front door.

Love live life proceed progress reads one tweet. Good things are hard to come by ... It is always advantageous to realize it

before its gone forever. Life is to short!!!! reads a Facebook status update.

With over 10,000 tweets from his @AirAfrica11 account, Adedipe uses his account to post inspirational thoughts and quotes while also keeping in contact with friends, fans and family.

I used to try to post inspirational quotes on my Facebook and it was kind of a joke at first

Adedipe said. People started texting me saying like 'Your status made my day' so I just took it to my Twitter.

As social networks like Twitter and Facebook continue to surge in popularity and usage, he knows the effect of each of his tweets. A motivational message can help someone get through a tough day. A positive post can help the image of the Ohio basketball team.

Basically, Adedipe is up with the times and knows how to use it to his and his team's advantage.

Since so many people follow me I don't want them to have a bad image of me or my teammates.

Like Adedipe, coach John Groce understands the need for social network accounts in the ever-changing world of technology and college sports. His Twitter account (@JohnGroce) has 826 followers.

Although he doesn't use it as frequently as Adedipe and other players on the team, Groce understands the importance of tweeting to promote his program to possible recruits and Bobcat fans.

It's such a quick vehicle that you get information from, Groce said. We put information on there that we can utilize for recruiting and for teams we are going to play.

With Groce not using his account too often, director of basketball operations Aaron Fuss takes the reins as the social promoter of the Bobcats.

Fuss will retweet (repost another person's tweet) positive articles posted about Ohio and update his 436 followers on the daily happenings of the team.

Fuss is much younger and more tech-savvy than the rest of the coaching staff and knows how to effectively use his account to promote the Bobcats.

We like to get the little things about the team, Fuss said. We show some of the inside stuff to give people the feel that they're on the inside of the program.

As the craze over social networks grows just as fast as technology updates, Adedipe, Groce and Fuss try to keep up to date with the changing times as effectively as possible.

The only problem is that it's so hard for them to keep up.

It's getting to a point where you've got so many different networks