Funding remains high priority for committee

Ohio University’s General Fee Advisory Committee recommendations have not changed much since last year, with the Division of Student Affairs again ranking as the number-one funding priority in front of Intercollegiate Athletics.

This year, the committee ranked the four major categories that make up the General Fee funding pool, with the Graduate College and OU Marching 110 prioritized as third and fourth, respectively. The committee, composed mostly of students, released its annual report earlier this month.

The committee previously ranked eight categories, but this year, four units were either consolidated or moved off the General Fee. Additionally, athlete scholarships, which used to be financed through the General Fund, have been moved to the General Fee.

Each undergraduate student at OU paid about $1,593 to the General Fee this year.

The committee noted in its report that every student at OU benefits from Student Affairs, and “continued cuts will result in diminishing (OU’s) competitiveness both for future students and employees.”

Student Affairs encompasses Baker University Center, Campus Recreation, Career Services and Student Health Services, among other departments.

“In the past, (Student Affairs) has been fortunate where we can take some cuts and still maintain the same level of service,” said Student Senate President Jesse Neader, who is a member of the committee. “I think if (Student Affairs) has any more cuts it’s going to drastically affect how we do things at this university.”

The decision to place Student Affairs as number one above Intercollegiate Athletics came down to one vote, Neader said.

Molly O’Brien, chairwoman of the General Fee Advisory Committee, noted the importance of athletics to OU.

“Athletics give students a rallying point. It is something that can bring the student body together and bring national recognition on numerous different levels to the university,” O’Brien said. “Many members (of the committee) noted the severe ramifications of cutting athletics.”

The committee has 10 members, nine of whom are students appointed by either Student Senate or OU President Roderick McDavis.

McDavis is now reviewing the recommendations contained in the report.

“The committee’s recommendation is very important to the decision-making process as it relates to the General Fee budget because these funds comes directly and solely from students,” McDavis said in a statement.

Last year, the committee recommended Student Affairs receive the most money from the General Fee during this fiscal year, but McDavis prioritized Intercollegiate Athletics first. Student Affairs received the second-most amount of money from the General Fee.

“With the different cuts Student Affairs has taken in the past, I think it’s really important this year that it maintains its place as number one,” Neader said.

pe219007@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus