Notes from the Underground: 'Edge' life about sobriety, not violence

The social aspect of college life as we all know is generally driven by alcohol, not just in fraternities and sororities but also at a lot of house shows and of course, bar shows campuses offer. It is also no secret that people associate alcohol and drug use with many music scenes.

Usually, it is far more common to see drinking at shows than sobriety. However, there are individuals in the punk and hardcore scenes who choose to abstain from alcohol and recreational drug use. They make their life choice known by explaining to those perplexed by their sober state that they have chosen to live a “straight edge” life.

Straight edge can be loosely defined as the choice to lead a clean and sober life meshed with punk and hardcore ideals and music. There are many bands associated with straight edge culture, such as The Teen Idles and SOA.

A dominant influence on the straight edge scene, iconic ’80s band Minor Threat lead by Ian MacKaye is professed by many to have been a major motivator to the movement.

Minor Threat’s song “Straight Edge” blasts lyrics like: “I’ve got the straight edge. I’m a person just like you, but I’ve got better things to do than sit around and smoke dope ’cause I know I can cope.” This sober sentiment struck close to home with a lot of fans who were tired of excess drug and alcohol use being associated with the music they loved.

MacKaye and many who followed in his boot-prints used edge as a way to avoid the self-destructive and sometimes fatal behavior they often witnessed from bandmates and friends in the scene. They took the Xs drawn on their hands that usually designated them as being underage at shows and molded them into the symbols for being edge.

Being edge has carried on to present day and has expanded for many to also include aspects such as incorporating a vegan lifestyle and abstaining from promiscuous sex. Rightfully by many, it is construed as being a very positive choice.

“Edge,” however, in the last decade or so has also spawned perpetual activity akin to gang violence, a damaging label to the movement that was used to promote a healthy and safe life.

This, in my opinion, is an unfair stigma to place on the straight edge scene. If you read through or watch various interviews with MacKaye, you will hear him time and time again explain how he does not view edge as a lifestyle; he views partying as a lifestyle. Also, he emphasizes that violence toward others, of any kind, is something that he has never wanted associated with his music or the idea of straight edge. Rather, it should be about respect.

There are obviously people who use edge as a way to condemn those in the scene who do not share their values, but you have to take into consideration that they are the exception, not the rule.

I have met people like this, but I have also met people who carry on the wonderfully peaceful attitude that straight edge originated as: nothing but a very personal choice. Despite their sobriety, straight edge kids are still pretty fun to party with.

Merri Collins is a sophomore studying journalism and a columnist for The Post. Are you straight edge? Let Merri know at mc112609@ohiou.edu.