Roderick McDavis, the Ohio University President, waits to give the Presidents report during the full Board of Trustees meeting in Walter Hall at Ohio University on Friday, April 22nd.

Board of Trustees: McDavis highlights tutoring program in board report

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis addressed the Board of Trustees for about ten minutes Friday prior to highlighting a peer-mentoring program as part of his regular report to the board.

McDavis spoke briefly about OU’s goal to be the “nation’s best transformative learning community” before shifting attention to students and employees who participate in the College Adjustment Program (CAP).

Courtney Fort, a junior studying nursing who has used CAP tutoring services, hopes to be the first black woman to graduate from OU with a bachelor’s degree in nursing.

“My ACT score was indicative of a low success rate in college, but CAP made me realize I am not a test score; I am a student with potential that had not been unlocked yet,” Fort said.

There are about 60 students waiting to get into the CAP program, there are about 289 in the program now, according to the presentation.

Many students report grade improvements of at least half a letter grade, and many times a full letter grade after they participate in the program, said Cynthia King, director of the Academic Advancement Center.

The Academic Advancement Center, which runs the program, has distributed $463,000 in grant aid and served more than 3,500 students, according to the presentation.

“I have a lot of respect for what you are doing here,” McDavis said. “(The) Academic Advancement Center is ground zero for success.”

The center focuses on peer-to-peer mentoring as well as OU’s diversity and accessibility.

“We use peers to help other peers. That’s a hallmark of our campus ... peers helping other peers learn,” said David Descutner, dean of University College.

In his report, McDavis also updated the trustees on the university’s search for a new vice president for University Advancement and director of Government Relations.

Candidates for the vice president and director positions have visited campus during the past several weeks, and McDavis said he hopes to make appointments for both in the “not too distant future.”

af234909@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus