Budget reduction scenarios released

Ohio University today released its budget reduction scenarios, which include $9.46 million in cuts and more than 13 possible layoffs.

The scenarios, which contain proposed cuts to offset OU's $19.7 million biennum budget gap, would also require 39.62 employees to accept an early retirement or voluntary separation plan. Currently, at least 40 employees will retire or leave in the next year.

Highlights from the scenarios — attached below — include:

• The president's office would eliminate 2.25 positions and reduce spending on professional development expenses for Internal Audit staff.

• Vernon R. Alden Library would eliminate two vacant positions.

• Intercollegiate Athletics would decrease endowed student aid by $75,000, athletic scholarships by $160,000 and eliminate one position.

• The Honors Tutorial College would save $20,000 through the retirement of a staff member.

• The Office of Finance and Administration would reduce its vehicle and travel budget by $50,000 and lay off two employees, among other cuts.

• WOUB will cut expenses to cover a loss of state subsidy.

• The Office of University Advancement will now fund $1.2 million in personnel and expenses using investment income. It previously received funding from the operating budget.

• The College of Arts and Sciences will cut $41,337 in expenses, which will affect maintenance, operations and office support. The college would also retire 5.3 employees and layoff 5.55 Group II faculty. Along with shifting funding to other areas, these proposed reductions would total a little more than $2.7 million.

• The College of Business would layoff one staff member and retire four faculty members as part of its $347,000 reduction.

• The E.W. Scripps College of Communication would retire seven faculty members and one staff member to save $650,000.

• The Patton College of Education and Human Services would retire two professors, eliminate one vacant administrative staff position, reduce technology and travel spending by $14,500, shift several expenses to different funding sources and increase the workload of early retirement and non-research faculty. The college would save $310,003.

• The Russ College of Engineering plans to save $1.1 million by retiring two tenure-track faculty and by shifting more than $800,000 in expenses to the OU Foundation.

• The College of Fine Arts would retire 6 faculty and staff members, reduce its supplies budget by $30,000, eliminate one Group IV faculty position and cut graduate stipends by $155,000. The total cuts come to $623,000.

• The University College will cut $10,000 in professional development expenses, layoff 0.5 employees and reduce pay for hourly workers by $6,500 — a total of $40,000 saved.

• The College of Health Sciences and Profession plans to cut 0.67 positions, reduce student employment, get rid of two photocopying machines and shift some expenses to other funding sources. The college cut $270,000 from its budget.

• The Center for International Studies will retire one staff member and reduce expenditures by $5,000. The center will cover most of its $60,000 cut through salary savings from its reorganization and shifting a staff position to the education abroad office.

• The Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs would use external funding to cover $45,000 of its expenses.

• The Division of Student Affairs will create or increase fines for all Class A and B judicial offenses, implement third party billing for psychiatrist visits, raise the price of family weekend packages, reduce travel expense by $7,500 and cut consulting expenses by $20,000. The department will also use increased revenue to cover its $135,000 cut.

Check back for further updates.

cb119506@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus