City Council: Council examines plant renovations

Athens City Council members could initiate three improvements to the city’s current sewage system — which would update the treatment plant in preparation for the next 40 years.

The first change would construct general improvements to the Waste Water Treatment Plant, said Andy Stone, director of Engineering and Public Works, at last night’s city council meeting.

The treatment plant has a wet side and a dry side, and the wet side is in need of renovations because of its age, Stone said.

Renovation to the wet side could include grit removal, new screening, a new influent pumping station and new primary and secondary clarifiers, he said.

The dry side is working smoothly, but there could be problems within the next 20 years, he added.

“When we get heavy rain is when we start to run into trouble with the current plant,” Stone said.

He added that he is looking for a decision on changes to be made by the end of June.

Stone also said he wants to incorporate energy-efficient improvements to the treatment plant.

“The (energy changes) we came up with are main building improvements,” Stone said.

The improvements could include new effluent heat recovery heating and cooling, exterior insulation and lighting, he said.

The final update would create storm water pollution prevention legislation, Stone said.

This legislation would create a third National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit, which would require public education and outreach, illicit discharge detection and public involvement and participation, he said.

This permit would help alleviate flooding in the city, he added.

Although Stone presented these changes to council last night, he said the presentation was not held to discuss the improvement costs.

“We’ve got a lot of work between now and then looking at how we’re going to finance this,” Stone said.

eb112807@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity