City Council: Ordinance sets green standards

Future construction projects in Athens could be more energy efficient if City Council members pass an ordinance to adopt greener building standards.

The new design standards would be used to ensure that city buildings are more energy efficient, said Councilman Elahu Gosney, D-at Large, at last night’s council meeting.

“The City of Athens recognizes global climate change as a threat to public health, safety, and security,” according to the proposed ordinance.

The energy changes would apply to construction, design and maintenance of buildings in the municipality, according to the proposed ordinance.

These changes include resource conservation, increasing energy efficiency and reducing the waste generated by construction projects.

If the ordinance were passed, city buildings  —over 5,000 square feet constructed — would be LEED Silver Certified, Gosney said.

“There are 9 different aspects (to the certification),” he said.

LEED Silver Certified buildings have features that include more efficient water usage, efficient construction materials and reusing former home sites for new projects, he said.

“The architects have training to design these types of green buildings,” he said, adding that the new buildings would also be rated by energy star.

“(Energy star ratings) focus mostly on energy use, while LEED Silver Certified aspects are more broad,” he said.

Though there are currently no construction projects underway, Gosney said the ordinance could be passed in the next couple of weeks and then planning for these projects can begin.

eb112807@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity