Event to collect hazardous waste

The city and township of Athens are dishing out more than $3,000 to help residents dispose of their hazardous waste tomorrow.

Residents of the Athens city and township can dispose of their hazardous waste tomorrow at the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., as part of the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event, said Roger Bail, director of the Athens-Hocking Solid Waste District.

“All the cost is covered by Athens township and city trustees, and (they) do not have the financial resources to include the whole county,” Bail said.

The city sponsored the event in 2007 and 2009, but the township will now be splitting the cost of the event, Bail said.

This year, the cost will include paying an Environmental Protection Agency professional to transport the collected waste to a facility in Cincinnati where it will be recycled or disposed, he added.

Participants must show proof of residency in order to participate, but business and commercial wastes will not be accepted, according to an Athens city news release.

The total cost of the event is undetermined because it depends on how much waste is collected from city and township residents, Bail said.

Residents can drop off their hazardous waste at the center from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

rs181308@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity