Jane Harf speaks to Ohio faculty about her interest in the Director of Government Relations position at Ohio University yesterday in the Baker University Center. (Alex Goodlett | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Finalist highlights campus-wide communication as key to success

The second finalist for Ohio University’s director of government relations position stressed her own core values and how they would help advance the university.

Jane Harf, director of the University Clean Energy Alliance of Ohio, spoke to a group of 15 yesterday, emphasizing the job as a university lobbyist and advocate. She said she hoped to involve all of OU in her work.

“A strong core message gives you the ability to develop all other messages,” Harf said.

Harf listed her guiding principles as credibility, commitment, communication, creativity and collaboration.

“Communication is getting people the right information at the right time and in the right way so they can use it,” Harf said. “Communication is a two-way street … you’d need to bring information back.”

The whole university would be involved in the process, and she would bring speakers to the university and hold forums to keep students and staff in the loop, she added, calling the job a “reality check.”

“You need to be accessible to the community — not just the president you report to or the higher administrators,” she said. “You need to give back, and give back honestly.”

Vice President for Research and Creative Activity Rathindra Bose asked what Harf saw as the biggest challenges OU faces in Columbus and how she would handle collaboration.

“Students and faculty are the heart and soul of the university,” Bose said. “You seek input from your constituents, and many times they come up with 10 solutions.”

Harf responded by saying that allowing a variety of input makes OU’s various groups more likely to come to decisions.

“Eventually, decisions have to be made,” she said. “But if you believe your answer has at least been considered, you are more willing to accept the outcome.”

Harf also said she felt OU’s biggest challenge was working through the state’s new budget and thought it may require some “defensive” lobbying.

OU currently estimates that it will receive $16.2 million less in state funding during the next fiscal year. The university previously expected it would lose $27 million.

“It’s good news and bad news. Whenever you are spared you may have a little bit of a target on your back,” she said.

Harf is competing with director of government relations Eric Burchard for the job. Teri Geiger, who formerly held the position, left in December.

tn336706@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus