A The Plains man accused of molestation

An Athens County man appeared in court yesterday for sex crimes against two children.

David Hartzog, 39, of The Plains, was arraigned in Athens County Municipal Court yesterday for one count of rape and one count of gross sexual imposition of minors.

In 2009, Hartzog allegedly performed oral sex on a boy, who was 3-years-old at the time, and fondled a girl, 7-years-old at the time, while she was in the shower, according to court documents.

He was arrested and booked at the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail at about 4:30 a.m. yesterday.

Hartzog was arrested after an investigation from Utah law enforcement officers tipped off the Athens County Sheriff’s Office about child pornography in The Plains, said Keller Blackburn, assistant Athens County prosecutor.

Rape is a first-degree felony. First-degree felonies normally carry a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum fine of $20,000 for each charge, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Rapes that are classified with a sexually violent predator specification, which applies for the rape of victims younger than age 10, carry a sentence of life without parole.

Gross sexual imposition is a felony of the third degree. Third-degree felonies carry a maximum sentence of five years and a maximum fine of $10,000, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

If convicted, Hartzog could receive a sentence of life without parole, Blackburn said.

Hartzog’s bond was set at $1,000,000, according to court documents.

He is scheduled to reappear in court at 2 p.m. May 20 for a preliminary hearing.

This article has been changed from it's original version. An earlier version of this article provided information that could be used to identify the two children who were allegedly sexually assualted. The Post regrets the error. 

rs181308@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity