(PROVIDED)

Electro-folk band to add international vitality to Nelsonville Music Festival

Bomba Estéreo’s name translates “Bomb the Stereo” in English, and the group of Colombians has set out to make a mark on the world music scene.

The collaborative group will bring its mixture of cumbia, or traditional Colombian folk music, and traditional electronica to the Nelsonville Music Festival next Friday, giving Southeastern Ohio a chance to hear what MTV called “The Best New Band in the World.”

Julian Salazar, the band’s lead guitarist, said the band’s fame came surprisingly quickly, even to them.

“It just came to us in some kind of way in the last three months of 2009. Someone from the UK wanted to sponsor six or eight dates there,” he said. “… It was pretty fast, the way we just get to (tour internationally).”

Bomba Estéreo has developed a reputation as a band that can play either a massive festival or an intimate club, as it is capable of reconciling its electronic and folk elements with each other to satisfy the specific audience.

Salazar identified the sheer size of the audience at festivals as one of its prime advantages.

“I think the main thing is so many get to see you perform. … I think it’s kind of cool. The good thing is so many people get to see you,” he said.

One aspect of international audiences that has surprised the band is their passion for music, even if they do not necessarily have a grasp on the language the lyrics are written in. From Seattle to New Orleans, audiences have embraced Bomba Estéreo’s brand of electro-folk.

“Sometimes it surprises you, the way you’ve got an audience that sometimes sings along with you in a foreign country even if they don’t speak Spanish or they don’t know what they are singing at all,” Salazar said.

Salazar added that touring in a country where his native language is not preeminent can hinder verbal communication at times, preventing the band from conveying a specific message. For the most part, though, the band’s understanding of English allows it to discuss general topics with its fans.

“I can talk with the audience, and I can talk with them about how we feel about their city, and you don’t feel like there’s a communication breakdown as much,” Salazar said.

Bomba Estéreo is hoping that its music helps bridge cultural divides and, maybe, encourages someone somewhere else in the world to bomb his or

her own stereo.

aw33507@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCulture