Local man receives 6 years after pleading no contest

An Athens man was sentenced last Friday to six years in prison despite desperate pleas of innocence.

Craig Cooper, 44, changed his plea from not guilty to no contest of charges of aggravated burglary, grand theft and two counts of kidnapping May 16. As part of a plea agreement, Cooper’s charges of burglary and abduction were dismissed.

A plea of no contest results in the defendant being found guilty.

The charges stemmed from an incident May 5, 2010. Cooper forcibly entered his ex-girlfriend’s home and removed her from the house against her will. He proceeded to drive away with the victim in her car. He later used her as a shield during a standoff with police.

At his sentencing hearing Friday, Cooper claimed he felt bullied into accepting the plea agreement.

“I didn’t understand it and I don’t want it,” said Cooper during his hearing.

Athens County Court of Common Pleas Judge L. Alan Goldsberry denied Cooper’s motion to change his plea back to not guilty, saying he already had the opportunity to and did not take it.

“(Cooper) is a veteran of the system,” said Assistant Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn, adding that Cooper was evaluated twice, found competent to stand trial and understood his plea agreement.

Cooper was sentenced to six years in prison for kidnapping and five years community control upon his release. He is to have no contact with the victim for nine years.

rs181308@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity