Morning voter turnout low in Baker University Center

A total of three voters out of approximately 3,000 registered students have voted today for the three precincts voting in Baker University Center. 

The polls opened at 5:30 this morning and will remain open until 7:30 tonight. 

“It’s a smaller election and the bad weather isn’t helping draw people to the polls,” said Trudy Montle, presiding judge for Precincts 1-5.

The issues being voted on today are a school levy for Athens City School District, a replacement of a tax levy, and the Democratic primaries for the at-Large and 3rd Ward Athens City Council seats.

Precinct 1-5 has not seen any voters today out of about 500 registered voters.

“This is the least turnout we have seen in the years I have worked election day,” said Lynn Mash of Precinct 1-5.

Voters have the option of voting for both issues or just the school levy. Precinct 2-1 has seen all of the voting action today with three voters out of about 1,300 registered voters. 

“It’s easy for people to vote with absentee ballots now and this election is low key,” said Alen Ferguson of Precinct 2-1. “Regardless, I think it’s sad that there is such a poor turnout.”

The amount of ballots sent to each precinct in Baker predicted a lower turnout as well. Each precinct received about half the amount of ballots compared to the amount of registered voters in their area. 

Precinct 2-5 also has not seen any voters today and there are approximately 1,200 registered student voters in their area. 

“I think you can blame it on the weather and voter apathy,” Jerry Smith said, “These are not very stimulating issues.”

@ThePostCity