Primary elections prove kind for 7 unopposed Democrats

Seven people running for a Democratic nomination for the November elections were uncontested in last night’s primaries.

One Democrat, current Mayor Paul Wiehl, had no same-party opponent in the primaries.

Wiehl said he enjoyed running uncontested for the primary but will have competition in November’s election, when he runs against Athens Republican Randy Morris.

“I just have more time to gear-up,” Wiehl said.

By focusing on past accomplishments, Wiehl said he hopes to get reelected in November.

“The idea is to keep people aware of what my activities have been for the past four years,” he said, adding that these activities include the construction of the roundabout and the creation of the GoBus.

Current City Law Director Pat Lang also ran uncontested for the party’s nomination last night and said he could get used to having no competition.

“There’s only two ways to run: uncontested or scared,” Lang said.

On Thursday, Lang announced his plan to seek appointment as Athens County Prosecutor after current Prosecutor C. David Warren announced he would retire from his post effective May 31.

Because of his position as law director, Lang said he is suitable for the position.

“(I want to) do my part to keep the county safe,” he said.

Jeff Risner ran uncontested for the Democratic nomination for council’s 2nd Ward seat. Risner is an instructor of information technology and computer science at The University of Rio Grande and president of the Ohio Plein Air Society.

He will take the place of current Councilwoman Sherry Coon, elected to the seat in 2007, after she announced earlier this year she would not run for council.

“(Running uncontested) certainly makes it easier for me,” Risner said.

Maintaining the city budget is one goal Risner said he has if he is elected to the seat in November.

“I think I bring a certain level of expertise to that (area),” he said.

Michele Papai ran for the party’s nomination to the 3rd Ward seat. Papai, an 18-year Athens resident, serves on the Athens City Board of Zoning Appeals.

She will be replacing Nancy Bain, who has served in the 3rd Ward seat since 1985.

Papai said she is happy to be running for council for the first time and wants to focus on preserving the history of the city.

Neighborhood preservation is very significant to the city, Papai said.

Current councilman Jim Sands, D-at Large, who will be running for council president in November, could not be reached for comment.

Current City Auditor Kathy Hecht and current Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, could not be reached for comment.

eb112807@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity