Brittney Woodson of Dublin, Ohio pauses to pet 'Tyson' during Millfest on Saturday May 14th 2011. Despite having a large turnout Millfest remained peaceful throughout the day.

Rain maintains mild Mill Fest

Although Saturday’s Mill Fest remained tame, partiers crowded yards and porches, partaking in games of Frisbee, mud wrestling and swimming in inflatable pools as music echoed loudly from houses.

Jenny Bak, an Ohio University senior studying advertising management, said she always looks forward to the more relaxed and inclusive festivities the day has to offer.

“Mill is a close second to being my favorite fest at OU,” Bak said. “I just love coming and hanging out with friends.”

Athens Police arrested 13 people, six of whom were OU students, and Liquor Control arrested another 20 for a total of 33 arrests during the course of the block party, according to an Athens Police news release.

At last year’s Mill Fest, local police officers arrested 11 people and Liquor Control arrested another 26.

This year, the party stayed calm mostly due to a three-hour block of rain and thunderstorms.

Despite the rain, revelers still participated in the block party, some hosting mud-wrestling matches in their front yards. Athens County Emergency Medical Services stood by as two female students faced off at 81 Mill St. and students gathered around to watch, but no one was injured.

When asked if the rain was a concern, Cameron Ruff, an OU senior studying history, said he embraced the rain and loves fest season at OU.

“I love the Browns, beer and boobs,” Ruff said, “Go Browns!”

Other partiers donned their jerseys for the block party, and Germane Lindsey, an OU senior and a member of the wrestling team, declared fest season, “jersey season.”

“It’s not as packed as Palmer, so you can’t get in trouble as easily,” Lindsey said, “That makes it more fun, and I always like to see all my Bengals and Reds supporters in their jerseys.” Bobby Walden, an OU sophomore, said he also enjoys jersey season and was excited for the early afternoon sunshine.

“Sun’s out, guns out,” Walden said, “The weather is nice and it’s jersey season!”

Partiers began to disperse at about midnight and the noise ordinance did not need to be enforced.

bw289809@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity