Voting rights fuel 'complex discussion'

Few debates have divided Ohio University’s student leaders as deeply as whether its student trustees should have the right to vote.

Granting the two student representatives a vote would require a change in state law, which some former and current trustees have moved for, while others oppose it.

To the two current officeholders, the discussion is complex.

“More often than not, (the trustees) actually solicit our opinions,” said senior student trustee Kyle Triplett. “My standpoint as a student, I feel, at least for OU, that we don’t need a vote.”

Student trustees, who are appointed by the governor, are responsible for more than just the student viewpoint, he said.

“There could be times when what is good for the university may not be what the students want. … It’s a conflict,” Triplett said.

He noted instances such as a student information system fee, which was voted down by Student Senate, but approved by the Board of Trustees, who stated OU’s quarters-to-semesters transition would be delayed if the fee were not instituted.

Tracy Kelly, current Graduate Student Senate president, served as a student trustee from 2007 to 2009.

“There’s a difference between being able to provide input and demonstrating investment in a position by casting a vote,” Kelly said.

Taking a public stance on university concerns would help the trustees mature, she said.

“(Having a voting record) really changes your experience, and it is a little frightening, but it’s important for growth,” Kelly said.

Of the five student trustee finalists for 2011-13, sophomores Tiffany Schlein and Allison Arnold are for the vote, while freshman Allie Dyer is against it.

Sophomores Zach George and Victoria Calderon remain on the fence.

uring Robert Leary’s tenure as Student Senate president last year, one of his central platforms was to get the Ohio Student Government Association to push for a change of law.

Leary stated that OU’s current Board of Trustees does not reflect all boards across Ohio, relating the experience of student leaders at the University of Toledo.

“In the beginning, it was great for them,” Leary said. “But by the end of the year, the board wasn’t inviting (student trustees) into executive sessions and meetings.”

Executive session, however, is exactly why 2008-10 student trustee Chauncey Jackson said he was against the vote. Such closed meetings allow trustees to hold discussions without media or the public present.

Jackson noted most other universities do not afford their student trustees the same privilege of sitting in the closed meetings — which, he said, is where they can best make a difference with their limited tenures.

“A vote is not going to change anything,” Jackson said. “A board decision is usually unanimous, anyway.”

Triplett also said executive session was key.

“According to the Ohio Revised Code, student trustees are not promised a seat in executive session,” he said. “The university cares about students in ways they’re not required to by state law.”

Junior student trustee Danielle Parker expressed the same sentiments.

“While we are involved students, we do not have the financial, business or career experience that the other trustees have,” Parker said in an email.

Leary noted students serve on OU bodies including the General Fee Advisory Committee, Budget Planning Council and Student Senate, in spite of short tenures on each.

“Most of the trustees don’t live in Athens — they’re not familiar with day-to-day culture of OU or stuff that’s affecting the student body,” Leary said. “Students provide on-the-ground perspective, and I do agree it’s different perspective, but it’s a good thing, not a bad thing.”

tn336706@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus