iPad app offers textbooks by the chapter

A new app could remove the need for paper textbooks for students who own iPads.

In conjunction with Apple, the design company Inkling is offering a free app for iPads that allows students to download textbooks by the book or by the chapter, much like purchasing a single song from iTunes instead of an entire album.

“I think it can replace textbooks, honestly,” said Marika Bresler, a junior studying public relations. “I know students find big textbooks to be cumbersome, and some see books as too expensive and unnecessary. I think students will utilize this tool.”

The new app could help students save money, said Aisha Stern, a senior studying public relations.

“I think it would be financially beneficial for some students,” Stern said. “I’ve bought digital textbooks before, so if I had an iPad, I would totally use the app. I’ve had some classes where we used half the chapters in a $150 book. I would’ve appreciated getting to save the money.”

Inkling’s designs contain more than just text. The app also provides interactive 3-D images, quizzes, definitions, listening portions and the ability to highlight content and save notes in a sidebar for later use.  

Christin Tripp, an economics professor at OU, assigns a textbook that is available as an e-text and appreciates the benefits of online textbooks in the classroom.

“I love the idea,” Tripp said. “It’s such a great option. Textbooks are so expensive, and we certainly do not cover every chapter. I think that it would entice students to actually buy and read the book.”

Some students, however, said they prefer having a real, solid textbook — no matter the price.

“I am indifferent to (online textbooks); I personally don’t use them because I like the way a textbook feels in my hand even though I own an e-reader,” said Linsi McCall, a junior studying commercial photography. “It depends on the class. I have had a history class that required six books, and we read all six books. I also have had teachers never use the textbooks, and as long as you took good notes in class, you were fine — the textbook was used as more of a reference then the main source of learning.”

Still, the increasing popularity of online textbooks cannot be ignored, Bresler said.

“I think students are pretty likely to use the app,” she said.  “We are an extremely technologically savvy generation, and I think college kids really enjoy having access on their laptop, iPad or iPod.”

Stern agreed, citing convenience as a major draw for students.

“I think it will be popular because of the convenience of being able to download from nearly anywhere and the ability to have a textbook in your bag without a bag full of textbooks,” Stern said.

jf392708@ohiou.edu