Big Shot Barker: Cancer may dash family dreams for TV personality

Giuliana Rancic is one of my favorite TV personalities. She is smart, speaks her mind and gets into a little trouble sometimes with her opinions on celebrities. Totally awesome.

Last week, it was released that Rancic has breast cancer. Of course, it was a huge announcement for anyone to make, and I respect the fact that she was the one to come out and say it straight forward.

It may sound weird, since I do not personally know Giuliana, but it is in times like these when I really start to think about how short life really is.

I may start to get a little philosophical on you, but it is just one of those weeks, so bear with me.

Giuliana had started to get on my nerves with her constant tweets and updates about her in vitro fertilization and attempts to start a family with hubby Bill Rancic.

That sounds really bad, I know, but there comes a point when enough is enough. Maybe they are meant to adopt, maybe the IVF will work, I don’t really know. However, the constant updates were starting to drive me crazy.

With that said, when I found out about Rancic’s diagnosis, I immediately wanted to eat my words because I realized it’s things like this that stop people from starting families all together.

When Rancic first reported she had the early stages of breast cancer, women went crazy with worry and started to question whether the IVF treatments were to blame.

Doctors are saying the IVF treatments have no cause-and-effect relationship to breast cancer, so the worry for a lot of hopeful moms-to-be are slightly eased.

Even with that said, just the understanding that someone so young (she’s 36) has breast cancer is enough to rack my own mind with worry.

I mean, how do you get back to normal? How do you feel like you are complete after a double lumpectomy?

It would take so much out of you, physically and emotionally.

I think I am having my “quarter-life” crisis. I am already such a worrywart. I should just stop watching television and reading the news all together.

I just keep thinking about Giuliana and her struggle. Even though she caught the cancer early and she most likely will be cancer free in the coming weeks or months, I still feel this deep sadness because her dreams of getting pregnant may never happen.

But, hey — look at Christina Applegate. She had a double mastectomy from breast cancer in 2008, and, in 2010, she gave birth to a girl.

There is proof that pregnancy is possible after cancer treatment.

The real significance of these stories is that everyone’s scenario is different and it is important to appreciate our own families, no matter how crazy they may be, and of course appreciate the life we have been given.

Rancic is remaining extremely hopeful about her health and her family dreams and said to E! News, “I’m not gonna give up, I want that baby. And what’s amazing is that baby will have saved my life … Now I truly believe that God was looking out for me. Had I gotten pregnant (earlier), a few years down the line I could be a lot sicker.”

Hallie Gebel is a sophomore studying broadcast journalism and columnist for The Post. If you’re going through your quarter-life crisis, email her at hg211609@ohiou.edu.