Alex Sedwick, 11, and his brother Mike Sedwick, 12, walk around East Green looking for a hall to enter during TRAC or Treat yesterday. Several residence halls held activities to encourage local kids' participation. (Jason Chow | For The Post)

tRAC treats local kids with candy and crafts

East Green was swarming with miniature devils, witches and pumpkins yesterday as local families brought their trick-or-treaters to campus.

About 40 kids dressed in Halloween costumes arrived with their parents to receive candy and work on Halloween-themed arts and crafts in the Read Hall lobby as part of the tRAC or Treat event put on by the Residents’ Action Council.

The families continued to travel between residence halls on East Green to participate in other activities.

The tRAC or Treat event aims to provide a convenient and safe event for families whose normal Halloween trick-or-treating might be hindered by location or work schedules, said Lindsey Marx, residential coordinator of Read Hall.

“Parents are drawn to the safety of being inside the lobby of a residence hall,” she said.

Tammy Exline brought her daughter, Tiara Waugh, to the event after Tiara brought a flyer home from her elementary school. Tiara was dressed as Batwoman and attended because she will be on a field trip with West Elementary School the evening her neighborhood is trick-or-treating.

Exline said she was also drawn to the event because of the safe environment provided by the residence halls.

“It’s much better to be in an indoor area rather than being outside,” she said.

Cynthia Tindongan, a graduate student teaching cultural studies in the Patton College of Education and Human Services, brought her daughter, Malaya, because she, too, will be on a field trip with West Elementary School instead of trick-or-treating. Malaya was dressed as a witch.

Tindongan came last year as well and said more families attended this year.

Matt Farmer, a sophomore and vice president of finance for tRAC, said he was pleased with the participation of students in residence halls across campus.

“We’ve been planning for this event for over a month,” he said. “This is one of the first things we focus on for the year.”

He said the event, which aims to take away from the normal OU Halloween festivities and focus on the kids in Athens, will take place again next year.

“The best part for me is seeing all the kids in their costumes enjoying themselves for Halloween,” Farmer said.

aw317609@ohiou.edu