City Council discusses rental signs, Habitat

During Monday night’s City Council meeting, members discussed housing matters ranging from the size of rental signs to the possibility of a Habitat for Humanity house in Athens.

Council passed an ordinance Monday night restricting all signs signifying a property is available for rent cannot be larger than 1.5 square feet, according to the ordinance.

The ordinance also states that nearly any coloring or lettering style was acceptable, though no neon or flashing signs are to be permitted. After committee discussions and a public hearing, a schism arose between two groups over the size to which each wanted signs to be restricted — one group wanted the requirement to be two square feet, while the others thought one square foot was the better option.

Councilman Jim Sands said the ordinance would go into effect within the next thirty days.

“If (the ordinance) proves problematic,” said Sands, “It would come back to council and we would see a change.”

City Council President Bill Bias, acting as mayor in place of Athens Mayor Paul Wiehl, who was out of town during the meeting, announced a plan to try to encourage more shoppers to visit Athens for their purchasing needs.

“From the day after Thanksgiving to January 1st there will be free parking uptown in the parking garage,” Bias said. “Also, all parking meters will be free for two hours.”

Councilwoman Nancy Bain explained an ordinance that was passed that would donate a property on Alexander Street to the Habitat for Humanity organization. She said it would be the first Habitat house within Athens’ city limits. Councilman Kent Butler was supported the ordinance.

“We have received a number of requests at town hall meetings to create more housing for the homeless and less fortunate,” Butler said. “So this would be a good thing for the community.”

Next year, Athens will see a change to its water bills.

“There will be a 3 percent increase on water rates to cover for inflation and new equipment,” Bias said.