MAC West tightens, Northern Illinois rises to the top

Week 10 of Mid-American Conference football scrambled the division standings and increased pressure on the top teams as they vie for a bid in the conference title game. 

Ball State 33, Eastern Michigan 31         

After nearly 60 minutes of back-and-forth football, Cardinals’ kicker Steven Schott knocked a crucial late-game 44-yard field goal through the uprights. With that kick, Ball State won the game, became bowl-eligible and helped clear its path to the top of the MAC West.

“Our special teams continues to be very solid and is helping us stay in these close games,” Cardinal coach Pete Lembo said. “Our guys are battling and hanging in there. They’re a persistent bunch.”   

Neither team held more than a seven-point lead at any point in the game due in large part to strong offenses.       

Quarterbacks Alex Gillett and Keith Wenning took charge of their respective teams. Eastern Michigan’s Gillett ran and passed for 322 yards and four touchdowns while Wenning recorded 284 passing yards with a pair of touchdowns for the Cardinals.

The Eagles had the ball for 40 minutes, but their lack of discipline undermined their time of possession. Eastern Michigan committed 12 penalties for 108 yards, making them the most-penalized team in the MAC.

In the coming weeks, Ball State takes on Northern Illinois and Toledo. If the Cardinals win both games, they will most likely earn a spot at the top of the MAC West.

Miami at Temple

After its loss to Ohio last Wednesday, Temple is in a tough position. The team must close out the season with a string of victories to stay in contention for the MAC East title. Miami, currently 3-2 in conference play, is in a similar situation.

The defending MAC champion RedHawks are first in the East Division, though the Owls and the Bobcats are right behind. With a victory, Miami will earn the tiebreak against Temple and retain its position in the standings.

Both teams lost to Bowling Green and Toledo this season, making it hard to determine a favorite entering Wednesday’s game.

Keys to the game include the Owls’ defense that leads the MAC in multiple categories and the health of Temple running back Bernard Pierce, who sustained a head injury last game.

When asked about Pierce’s status, Owls’ coach Steve Addazio said he had “no idea ... we’ll just have to wait and see.”

Pierce is listed as questionable for Wednesday night.

Northern Illinois at Bowling Green       

Last week’s victory against Toledo made the Huskies the front-runner to win the West Division, though they must defeat the Falcons to keep that position. And Bowling Green is no stranger to playing the spoiler.

Two weeks ago, the Falcons shocked Temple in a 13-10 upset, and before that, they put a scare into Toledo before dropping a 28-21 decision.

Tonight’s contest will mark the Huskies’ last away game of the regular season. They are 2-2 in road games this season, with the losses coming against Kansas and Central Michigan. 

Since the loss to the Chippewas, Northern Illinois has won four straight games. Bowling Green comes into the week looking to rebound from an unexpected loss to Kent State.

“After a loss, they have never carried that loss to the practice field on Tuesday,” Falcons’ coach Dave Clawson said. “It’s been a resilient group.”

Tonight

Northern Illinois at Bowling Green

Western Michigan at Toledo

Wednesday

Miami at Temple

Thursday

OHIO at Central Michigan

mm938910@ohiou.edu