Bushel of Apple products a new class tool

Some Ohio University classrooms feature more than just a white board and projector to convey information to students — they now have a wealth of knowledge at their fingertips with the help of Apple Inc.

After purchasing 16 first-generation iPads in 2010 and 16 second-generation iPads in 2011, OU has begun to implement the technology into selected curricula.

The iPads were purchased with a small portion of funds from a House bill grant available each year for technology. The funds come from the state and are distributed throughout campus for numerous projects.

The 32 iPads cost about $16,000 and are under warranty by Apple, said Greg Kessler, assistant professor of computer-assisted language learning in the linguistics department and director of OU’s Language Resource Center.

Kessler was unsure how much money was available overall through the grant.

University language departments are using the iPads, which are available to all modern language, linguistics, and Ohio Program of Intensive English professors and instructors.

“The iPads offer us new opportunities to embrace mobile technologies while freeing up some of our language-learning computer labs,” Kessler said in an email. “The iPads require no dedicated space and are also much cheaper than conventional desktop computers, and thus far, we have been very impressed with them.”

Valerie Kryc, a senior studying Spanish education, is one of 17 students in a Spanish 435 Proseminar course borrowing an iPad for the duration of the quarter.

“We got the iPads the first day of class, and they had all the videos that we had to use for the whole quarter uploaded on them,” Kryc said. “We watch the films for the class at home, so it’s nice to have everything that you need uploaded on one device.”

Arthur Hughes, an associate professor who teaches the Spanish 435 course, hopes that the technology will be available as a more advanced role in the near future.

“My course is a film class, and to enable students to watch films outside of class, they can use the iPads,” Hughes said. “For now, what I’m told is that the applications are pretty limited for the iPad, but I hope maybe, in a couple years’ time, we may be able to use them more frequently.”

The remaining 15 are available for professors to check out.

Kryc believes other classes at OU should use iPads to learn.

“The iPads are wonderful,” she said. “They serve as an organizational tool, and they are a great way to look up things on the Internet.”

OU has a long history of being at the forefront of technology use for language learning, Kessler said.

The university’s learning-management system, which has been in use for eight years, includes video- and audio-recording functionality, as well as interactive activities.

“These are enhanced by the use of the iPads,” Kessler said. “Students can plan, shoot, edit and deliver video all on the iPad. That is a pretty cost-effective, all-in-one solution.”

bc822010@ohiou.edu