Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer

Ohio's Reggie Keely shakes hands with fans after the game against Kent State. After a promising freshman season and a disappointing sophomore one, Keely has averaged more than seven points per game through five conference games this season, including back-to-back games in double figures.

Men's Basketball: Keely leads 'Cats to 2-game winning streak

After a loss to Bowling Green in Ohio’s conference opener, coach John Groce criticized his team for its lack of toughness, calling the effort “sickening.” 

One player Groce identified as showing a lack of toughness was junior guard Reggie Keely, who was held to seven points or fewer in each of the team’s first three Mid-American Conference games. 

But after two losses in Ohio’s first three MAC games, Groce said Keely stepped up his physicality in the last two contests — both wins for the Bobcats.

Keely was one rebound shy of his fifth career double-double in a blowout win against Kent State and came up big against Miami Saturday as well. He scored 11 points on four and-one baskets — each of them coming at a time when the Bobcats were in desperate need of a bucket. 

“We’re a much better basketball team when he’s physical,” Groce said. “When he has a disposition of being a guy who’s willing to screen, finish and have a physical presence to his game, it makes us a better team.

“I thought he did that on Saturday, and I thought it was a big difference in the game.” 

A promising freshman season gave way to a disappointing sophomore campaign for Keely, who averaged only four points in MAC play last season despite a healthy number of minutes. 

But this season, Keely has averaged more than seven points per game through five conference games, including back-to-back games in double figures. 

Keely has already recorded 10 games in double figures so far this season compared to only six all of last season.

At 5.3 boards per game, Keely has improved his rebounding total from a year ago as well. 

Both Groce and Keely expressed a need for sustained consistency. 

“I can’t say that I was doing anything different than the other games,” Keely said about his recent success. “I think, personally, there’s only been a few games that I can think of that I didn’t play tough. I’ve been trying to be consistent all season, so that’s my focus.” 

For the first time in his collegiate career, Keely has come off the bench in all of his team’s 19 games.

“It gives him a chance to see how the game’s being called and the flow of the game,” Groce said. “In previous years, he was a guy that got in foul trouble early, and so now sometimes it’s two, three or maybe four minutes into the game before he goes into the game. And one thing I do know, until he checks in, he doesn’t have a foul.” 

Keely started 17 games as a freshman and the first eight games of his sophomore year. But after a four-game span in which he totaled five more fouls than points, Groce relieved Keely of his starting role. 

Keely started just one more game during his sophomore season, but he said he does not mind the change in roles. 

“I just want to play,” he said. “As long as I’m on the floor, it doesn’t matter if I’m first or second. I just want to play. If I’m out there, I feel like I can produce, so as long as I’m on the court, it’s all good.”

Coming in off the bench, along with improved fitness, has allowed Keely to stay fresh late in games. 

“My conditioning is getting better every game,” Keely said. “I’m not as winded as I was earlier in the season. Late in the game, I feel like I can hold my stance on defense and finish buckets around the rim a lot better late in games.”

ro137807@ohiou.edu