New J-Bar shuffles into spot formerly called The Junction

Bar hoppers descending on Athens for their weekend crawls will soon have a new destination in a familiar location.

J-Bar, 41 N. Court St., was home to the popular weekend spot The Junction until it was sold in August 2011. David Cornwell, the owner of Courtside Pizza, purchased the bar with plans to reinvent the Athens staple.

Cornwell added 1,500 square feet of space, including a balcony on the second floor, the property’s zoning permit states.

“If there wasn’t the capacity to build a second floor, I wouldn’t have been interested in this property,” Cornwell said.

The cost of the last recorded sale of the building was $800,000, according to permit records.

Cornwell would not release how much he paid for the bar, and because it was a change in business vendors, the Athens County auditor does not have record of the sale.

But the value of the improvements is estimated to be more than $100,000. The estimated demolition costs totaled $30,000, according to permit records.

“I’m really looking forward to having people come in and see what changes we have made,” Cornwell said. “We have updated and reconstructed the layout of this space to maximize its use and appeal.”

Despite significant changes, Cornwell said the essence of The Junction remains.

“Although we have made many (physical) changes,” Cornwell said, “the foosball table and jukebox will still be here because that’s what keeps The Junction spirit alive.”

As of yesterday, the liquor licenses had not transferred from The Junction to J-Bar, Ohio Division of Liquor Control said.

Cornwell said he hopes to open the bar as soon as possible.

“College students are definitely going to feel comfortable here during happy hour,” Cornwell said. “But if you’re 25, 26, 27, you are also going to want to check it out. The fun, relaxing and upbeat experience will attract all types of people.”

The second-floor balcony is not the only improvement to the bar, Cornwell said, adding that the alcohol selection would see an expansion as well.

“It’s not a sticky bar; you can definitely get and enjoy a glass of wine during your time at J-Bar,” he said.

Cassie Litman, an Ohio University senior studying health-services administration, said she is eager to see J-Bar open.

“I’m excited about J-Bar replacing The Junction,” Litman said. “I hope the new bar will have a laid back atmosphere and cool employees.”

sl642509@ohiou.edu