New Year's dissolution

Last quarter, junior Mathew Zendejas could be found at Ping Center four days a week. Yet when he returned for Winter Quarter, he was irritated to find a significantly higher number of people in the gym.

“It’s hard to get a hold of equipment,” said Zendejas, who is studying psychology and Russian. “You have to change your routine to get the machines you are looking for.”

Jake Loew, a sophomore studying audio production who frequents Ping at least three times a week, expressed similar frustrations.

“A lot of people show up and exercise for a week trying to fulfill a New Year’s resolution,” Loew said. “They want to get in shape but never follow up even past the first week.”

By March, activity in Ping tends to be down from its January spike. Last year, the fitness center’s attendance saw a 22 percent decrease between January and March. Some of this drop, Franklin said, could be from people who set out with good intentions but just cannot follow through on their resolutions.

“This is not a good thing,” Douglas Franklin, assistant dean for campus recreation said. “Most psychologists would agree that you need a balanced diet and exercise throughout the year in order to remain healthy.”

Yet Jason Webber, counseling psychologist at Ohio University, said the burst of motivation at the outset of the year might not be a bad thing. He noted that exercisers should take advantage of motivation when it strikes them.

Webber said the key flaw to resolutions is the lack of preparation. People fail to make a long-term plan, resulting in a drop in ambition.

“Changes take place in predictable ways, going from contemplation to preparation to action,” he said. “And people tend to skip the middle stage of preparation.”

While the common sentiment on campus is that the increase in Ping attendance is due to New Year’s resolutions, Franklin said he also attributes some of the spike in numbers simply to the colder weather. Indoor activities such as swimming, ice skating and intramural basketball draw more people to Ping, he said.

“January is (Ping’s) biggest participation month,” agreed Dan Vorisek, director of Outdoor Pursuits. “Students are not inclined to do outdoor activities.”

To prepare for the influx of weight watchers, Franklin said, Ping increases the number of programs available.

wh092010@ohiou.edu