OU to test-drive car-rental program come fall

Ohio University officials are revving up a new program that could remove the need for frantic last-minute texts every time a student needs a ride to Wal-Mart.

The new program, which would begin next fall, would allow OU students to rent cars at an hourly rate, for a full day or overnight.

The car-sharing program is still in the proposal phase; OU officials are looking for student feedback on the idea before they move further, said Marty Paulins, director of OU Transportation and Parking Services.

“(The program would be) a low-cost transportation opportunity to students, faculty and staff,” Paulins said. “The end result will be a reduction in the carbon footprint, which is what we’re trying to do.”

Although car-rental programs already exist, age requirements make them difficult for many college students to use, Paulins said.

To offer the service, OU would partner with an outside company — such as Zipcar or WeCar — that would buy cars for the campus. The profits generated by the hourly student-rental rate would go back to that company.

By using this business model, OU can provide the car-sharing program without using any tuition dollars, Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi said.

“When we started talking about this, my feeling — knowing our campus — I thought this was great,” Lombardi said. “I thought it would resonate, with its campus sharing and sustainability aspects.”

The program would allow students to rent cars online and then swipe into the car using a membership card. Gas cards would be provided in the car to pay for fuel, Lombardi said. The only requirement to rent a car would be a valid driver’s license.

“Before we get too far along with deals or sign up for anything, we want to get student feedback,” he said.

Earlier this month, Lombardi asked what students and faculty thought of the idea on Twitter. He said the feedback that day and since then has been very positive.

Paulins, Lombardi and a representative from Enterprise will present to Student Senate next week, Paulins said.

Catie McKelvey, a sophomore studying journalism, said she would definitely be interested in the program because she doesn’t have a car on campus and lives four hours away. She often relies on roommates and friends for rides.

“I feel like that’s a really cool service,” McKelvey said.

bv111010@ohiou.edu