Buchtel Police Chief's preliminary hearing set for Feb. 24

Eyes sunk-in with scraggly blond hair, 29-year-old Jessica Willison stood up for her boyfriend, Buchtel Chief of Police Kelsie Lanning, Jr., in Athens County Municipal Court Thursday.

“Butchel police chief got himself in a spot, huh?” said a man in the crowd. “He’s making us all look bad.”

The worn and haggard Willison, knees tucked under her chin, jumped to his defense.

“That wasn’t his fault, it was mine,” she interjected.

A few minutes later, the orange-clad Willison was led away by police in handcuffs and her boyfriend appeared in court via video feed from Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Lanning and Willison were arrested Wednesday after Athens County Sheriff deputies sold him prescription pills in a controlled sale. 

The Sheriff’s Office received information that Lanning had allegedly been using illicit drugs for more than a year. A month long investigation was then conducted, culminating with a controlled sale of prescription drugs between Lanning and someone working with the sheriff’s Narcotics Enforcement Team.

The sale took place at Lanning’s Nelsonville home — 432 Fairview St. Lanning was arrested along with Willison.

Lanning was charged with permitting drug abuse, a fifth-degree felony. $90 in cash is subject to forfeiture, according to Athens County Municipal Court documents.

He is being held in jail on $50,000 bond with 10 percent.

His preliminary hearing is set for Feb. 24 at 2 p.m.

Willison was charged with aggravated possession of drugs, a third-degree felony, after obtaining 20 Oxycodone hydrochloride tablets from a confidential informant, according to court documents.

She is also charged with trafficking in drugs, a fifth-degree felony, after she knowingly sold or offered to sell a controlled substance at Lanning’s home, according to court documents.

as218907@ohiou.edu