Local foundation receives philanthropic designation

Appalachian nonprofits looking for help in a tough economy can find it in a locally based foundation that has been reconfirmed as a philanthropic organization.

The Foundation for Appalachian Ohio was recently reconfirmed in accordance with the philanthropic standards of the Council on Foundations, a membership organization of 2,000 organizations and corporations.

The foundation’s policy, guidelines and programs were reviewed to ensure the foundation adhered to the highest national standards, said Megan Wanczyk, spokeswoman for the foundation.

“The foundation has met rigorous standards to receive this designation,” Wanczyk said.

The Foundation for Appalachian Ohio was founded in 1998 with an initial investment of about $2 million, Wanczyk said. Last year, the foundation’s assets totaled $9.4 million and granted almost $300,000 through 246 separate grants and gave out about $80,000 in scholarships.

“Being reconfirmed compliant with National Standards is a tribute to the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio’s ongoing commitment to serving Appalachian Ohio and its communities with integrity,” said Cara Brook, the president and CEO of the foundation.

The foundation’s mission is to increase the quality of life for those living throughout Ohio’s 32 Appalachian counties with a focus on education for all Appalachian children, according to the foundation’s website.

In 2003 and 2004, the foundation granted two $20,000 grants to the Appalachian Center for Economic Networks to start their Food We Love campaign, said Angie Maiden, president and CEO of the center.

“It still exists and has expanded,” Maiden said. “The idea was to be able to have the seed money to start a program to develop the relationships and the branding to help our small businesses that are regionally based get into retail establishments.”

Without the grant, the campaign would never have started and has seen substantial success since its inception, Maiden said.

“The brand that was created from that project is still used now,” Maiden said. “We are now up to food clients from 67 counties in Ohio, and a majority of those are in the Appalachian region.”

dd195710@ohiou.edu