The self-described "nerd pop" band Mind Fish will celebrate the release of its second full-length album Saturday at The Union. The album, Watch Out!, is the indie group's first studio-recorded piece that was produced with help from Eddie Ashworth, an assistant professor in the School of Media Arts and Studies (PROVIDED).

Mind Fish casts out first studio-recorded album

Mind Fish might have to watch out for critics after the release of its new album, Watch Out!

The self-proclaimed “nerd pop” band will host its second album release party at The Union, 18 W. Union St., Saturday at 9 p.m., following a show in its hometown of Toledo.

The album is the group’s second full-length, but first studio-recorded album. Mind Fish recorded its three previous projects in bedrooms but turned to Eddie Ashworth, an assistant professor in the School of Media Arts and Studies, for assistance in producing Watch Out!

“Musically, everyone in the band is quite good,” Ashworth said. “They make it look easy, while using complex arrangements.”

He added that he believes the band is winning over new audiences who might not have been exposed to its music previously.

“They are bringing it,” Ashworth said.

Despite Ashworth’s praise and gaining a larger fan base, the band has received criticism from those in the indie scene and other music outlets on campus — such as ACRN — for making fun of the indie music scene despite largely being a part of it.

“We pick beefs with people,” said vocalist and guitarist Dean Tartaglia. “(They say things like), ‘these guys are at the top of the indie scene and they are bashing it the whole time ...’ ”

Tartaglia said his commentary on the indie scene started with the band’s struggle to be recognized past its fringe group following. In addition, he said the norms of indie record labels and the indie style are what bug him.

“If they stir some controversy, good on them,” said Ashworth. “The lyrics take on the pretensions of this modern youth culture.”

Ashworth said he tries to work with the band members to draw out their stronger qualities, such as their playful approach to music and theatrical stage presence.

“It’s bare bones indie rock,” Tartaglia said. “We dress it up so that it has a big city feel.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu