Autumn Bycofski and her daughters, Becca (left) and Brielyn listen to the Athens School Board declare that Chauncey Elementary will be closed due to budget cuts on Feb. 23, 2012 in Athens High School auditorium. (Gwen Titley | Picture Editor)

No last chance: Unanimous decision calls for elementary's closing

As each “yes” signaled the closing of their beloved elementary school, the only thought of Chauncey residents was “no.”

Despite extending the decision date an extra month to evaluate further alternatives, the Athens City School District Board of Education unanimously decided that closing Chauncey Elementary was the only option to help offset the district’s $2 million deficit.

Many parents and faculty had little to say after the announcement, though support organizer John Frost said he was “very disappointed,” in the decision.

Superintendent Carl Martin proposed closing the school in early December, prompting widespread disapproval from Chauncey parents and faculty, ranging from 900 signatures on an online petition to a Save Chauncey Elementary Facebook page.

Though each board member said all alternatives were taken into consideration, Board President Chris Gerig said closing Chauncey, which would save a projected $1 million, was the only way for the district to move forward.

“We have a great deal of work ahead, and this is only the first step in a long list of daunting tasks,” Gerig said. “I know a disaster when I see one, and our five-year plan is a disaster.”

Beginning in the fall, 143 Chauncey students will be moved three miles away to The Plains Elementary.

Board member Roger Brown said the additional students will increase the average number of students per classroom from only 17 to 19.

Though Chauncey students will now be placed by default in The Plains Elementary, open enrollment will allow families to make the final decision on where their children attend school.

Along with relocating students, Chauncey faculty will eventually be moved to different schools in the district and eight to 12 teaching positions will be eliminated, Martin said.

The eliminations will be determined by seniority, though the four or five possible teacher retirements might offset some eliminations, he added.

Though alternatives presented by the Chauncey supporters could not save the school, Gerig said administrative reductions and bargaining with unions will be used in the coming months to help reduce the deficit further.

“The issue with the ideas presented (by supporters) were that they were shown as a substitute when we need them in addition to closing Chauncey,” Gerig said. “They just aren’t ripe enough yet.”

While many of the Chauncey supporters were shocked by the board’s final decision, much of the faculty, including third-grade teacher Sheila Ross, said they expected the school to be shut down.

“We saw this outcome from the beginning,” Ross said. “We really weren’t surprised.”

Joe Canter, president of the Chauncey Village Council, said that, although he expected the decision to be a done deal, he wishes the board could be held accountable.

“My only regret is that we don’t have a big enough voting block in the village to punish these guys at the ballot box,” Cantor said.