Loud and Proud

Editor’s note: This is the first in a weekly series exploring the diverse music scenes in Athens.

On some nights, double bass, ear-piercing screams and squealing guitar melodies emanate from Athens bars, causing some passersby to quicken their steps and instead attracting a select group of dedicated fans.

“Sometimes, metal is like the bastard child of music,” said Scott Hedrick, guitarist of Athens’ Skeletonwitch. “It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it doesn’t go away because the people that love it, love it dearly — they’re the most loyal people.”

Skeletonwitch got its start in Athens in 2003 and since has propelled itself to nationwide and international tours.

The band’s success, Hedrick said, was only possible because of the support from the metal community in Athens, particularly in terms of attendance at concerts. Had the band formed elsewhere, he said, they might not have stuck together.

The metal scene thrives particularly at Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St., where the bar’s booking agent makes a point to support the genre.

“I like to have a variety of music at The Skull, but I have a soft spot for metal.” said Andie Walla, The Skull’s booking agent. “I see The Skull as a stepping stone for younger bands that want to get into the Athens music scene as a step up from open stages.”

Hedrick said that, in the past, finding a venue for metal shows was a challenge. For one of Skeletonwitch’s first shows, the band built its own plywood stage on Mill Street during Mill Fest because the members were so frustrated with trying to find a traditional venue.

Joshua Gillogly, bassist for local metal band Empirian, added that college students generally determine what music is popular and that the people who come out to metal shows are not strictly students.

“We don’t get the same types of crowds that go to Dave Rave or Elemental Groove Theory,” he said. “We have a growing metal scene in Athens. But when you step back, folk and electronica are a lot bigger than metal.”

Gillogly said a common issue in the Athens metal scene is that many of the bands sound too similar. He said he’s noticed several metal bands in Athens attempting to walk in Skeletonwitch’s footsteps, adding that the scene suffers when too many bands try to have the same style.

Despite having such a niche community, Hedrick said he believes metal will continue to remain a part of the scene.

“There are always metal bands in Athens, even if it’s just two or three,” Hedrick said. “Athens in general is a great music scene.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu