CG performs at a house party during this year's Palmer Fest. Because of run-ins with the law, many house-party hosts have curbed advertising for the secret shows and taken to invitation-only methods such as Facebook and word of mouth. (Brien Vincent | Staff Photographer )

House parties offer bands new venues

Many Athens residents might be unaware of the covert musical venues that have set up shop not far from their own backyards.

Parties located in residential parts of Athens are now playing late-night host to bands seeking an alternative venue.

Tom Chant is one resident fully aware of the unorthodox party scene. His local party house, a North Congress Street property nicknamed The Morgue, brings in local bands that play to the heavier side of metal and hardcore music.

“The Morgue has a reputation of having satanic imagery and a lot of black metal pictures,” Chant said. “It throws off some people from coming into our house, but we’re actually a bunch of friendly guys; we just put it up to scare away people who don’t have open minds.”

Almost all house shows in Athens are facilitated by invitation only, Chant said. In recent years, houses have begun charging attendees for admittance; however, the city police began shutting down the parties because of noise violations and fire hazards.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said his officers begin checking for house parties before midnight only if there is a complaint. After midnight, once the noise ordinance takes effect, Athens Police  officers actively look for house shows violating the ordinance, he said in an email.

Pyle added that house parties might be at stake for violating more than a noise ordinance.

“People are not allowed to charge an admission charge to see a band at their residence,” he said. “This would constitute … an illegal business venue in a residential zone.”

Because of problems with law enforcement, most houses toned down advertising throughout the city and decided to stick to Facebook and word of mouth. That ensures that the shows keep a friendly atmosphere with people only the owners know, Chant said.

“It’s a zoning issue because these are houses, not venues,” Chant said. “These houses don’t like to have a lot of publicity because they don’t want to get shut down by police. If they start putting flyers around town, then the show will get shut down before the first band finishes.”

Many houses, including The Morgue, will ask for donations because some of the bands are from out of town and need gas money to continue their tours.

Generally, though, house parties are a way for up-and-coming bands in Athens to find a place to play when bars are unwilling to take the risk on a relatively unknown band.

The Grove is a band that has been trying to shift from the house-party scene to the local bars. After almost two years, its efforts are starting to pay off.

John Lippit, a junior studying exercise physiology, said The Grove regularly plays at a house on Oak Street that prefers having live rock music for parties instead of hiring a DJ.

“If you’re playing on a soccer team, that’s like playing at a bar versus just kicking the ball around in your backyard,” said Adam Forsthoefel, lead singer and guitarist for The Grove. “You’re not going to get anywhere kicking a soccer ball around in your backyard.”

wh092010@ohiou.edu