Ohio players from the offensive line walk onto the field during the Sept. 17, 2011 game against Marshall. Ohio won the game 44-7. The players credit their off-field friendship as an enhancer of their on-field success. (Greg Roberts | File Photo)

Football: Camaraderie, bonding amongst players betters performance on field

Meaningful relationships are forged during a long period of time.

One thing that helps build that cohesion is having the relationship be united in its purpose.

That purpose, for Ohio’s football team, is to protect quarterback Tyler Tettleton and give the playmakers an opportunity to make plays. For that to happen, the offensive line needs to act in unison.

“The biggest thing we do is we spend a lot of time together. We have guys that have been playing since they were redshirt freshmen,” offensive line coach Keven Lightner said. “The guys like each other and respect each other and hang out with each other, so they are all on the same page.”

The offensive line was on the same page last season, as the offense enjoyed its best campaign in recent memory. Ohio’s running back corps averaged 197 yards per game, and Tettleton became the first Bobcat signal caller to eclipse 3,000 yards in a season.

But the Bobcats did allow two more sacks than the Bobcat defense amassed.

“The inner three (the center and two guards) have been together so long,” said redshirt senior guard Vince Carlotta. “The communication is the key — just relaying all the calls to each other helps out a lot. The unity we have on the front five is great.”

Friendly competition in the weight room, which Lightner claimed was like an “offensive line Olympics,” deepens a camaraderie that extends past starting players and into the minds of younger linemen.

“We are constantly competing against each other and guys are pushing each other,” Lightner said. “We have the strongest group we’ve ever had here. (They) do a great job in the weight room, and they push the younger guys.”

Carlotta, senior center Skyler Allen and fellow redshirt senior guard Eric Herman said redshirt sophomore Bryce Dietz might be the strongest big man on the team.

Repetitions in practice are the primary way for players to get to know one another and their tendencies, but off-the-gridiron activities provide another outlet for players to become better connected.

“The biggest thing seems to be the Chinese buffets,” Lightner said. “(We) go to movies together, we’ll have guys over to my place, try to get together when we can.”

Herman’s shining moment at the table came during a Man vs. Food Challenge during the Bobcats’ stay in Boise, Idaho for the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl in December.

He almost downed a five-pound burger with a side of fries — six pounds of food — but couldn’t bring himself to digest the last bite before “he lost his marbles.”

“I’m more of a vegetarian kind,” he said jokingly. “I’ve actually been eating a lot. I need to cut down my weight and work on my footwork.”

Jokes aside, playing with teammates who have become best friends makes the battles in the trenches a more gratifying experience.

“It means a lot. These guys are definitely my closest friends,” Allen said. “Eric and Vince and even the other tackles — even though they didn’t start last year — we’ve been through thick and thin. It’s great to play with them.”

nr225008@ohiou.edu