Q&A: Marshall beat writers break down 'Battle for the Bell'

Earlier this week, I spoke with the Marshall Parthenon’s football beat writers, assistant sports editor Adam Rogers and sports editor Jeremy Johnson, about their expectations for Saturday’s Battle for the Bell showdown. Here’s part of the transcript, edited for content and clarity.

The Post: To start things off, have the Thundering Herd held onto last year’s game (a 44-7 loss to Ohio at Peden Stadium) as a source of motivation?

Adam: I would say the players definitely have a chip on their shoulders. They went into Athens last year and thought they would beat Ohio, but (then-freshman quarterback) Rakeem Cato threw four picks and really wasn’t prepared for such a hostile environment.

The Post: How has Cato improved since Ohio fans have seen him last? What can the Bobcats expect from him Saturday?

Adam: Coming in from last season he gained 20 pounds of muscle. He’s added that weight and can stand in the pocket confidently. When he was benched in the middle of last season, he took that time to reflect on his early games. He definitely doesn’t look like a true sophomore. He has been able to open the offense up more to him.

The Post: How much of a factor does the offensive line play in keeping Cato and the nation’s top passing offense running smoothly?

Adam: The O-line is improved from what it was when coach Doc (Holliday) got here (in 2009.) That is the biggest group that has been overhauled. In the summer, the offensive line worked out in a sand pit and got more agile. The experience required to block for a sophomore quarterback is there. Without the O-line, Cato doesn’t have all day to make those throws. The O-line has done a fantastic job of protecting him, and he was only sacked twice in Morgantown (against West Virginia in week one,) and that’s a very tough defensive line.

The Post: Marshall has a backfield corps that doesn’t feature one standout back, but has several guys that get significant touches each game. How has that helped the Herd this season?

Jeremy: We have a lot of young running backs. Getting 100 snaps a game enables all these running backs to get in. There are young guys getting chances to shine in these early games.

The Post: How has the Thundering Herd prepared for Ohio running back Beau Blankenship, who has been a force in the trenches this season?

Jeremy: The team definitely knows what type of running back he is. They’re not going to be able to arm tackle him. They’re going to have to wrap him up when they get to him.

The Post: Which team do you think will end up ringing the bell when it’s all said and done, if you wouldn’t mind sharing?

Jeremy: I expect a high-powered game offensively … a 42-35 Marshall win.

Adam: I don’t want to put a number on it, but it’s going to be a battle of two potent offenses. One of the best offenses in the (Mid-American Conference) against one of the best from (Conference USA,) but it wouldn’t surprise me if one of the defenses comes in and shuts one of them down.

Jim Ryan is a sophomore studying journalism and assistant sports editor of The Post. Email him at jr992810@ohiou.edu. Read his guest column on The Parthenon's website here